PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I've had some things come up while smoking that made me set down the pipe and it would naturally go out.

I've relight after several hours and even next day to finish the bowl and have had no bad experiences.
At what point is it too late to relight the bowl and time to empty and reload the bowl?
Cheers- :puffy:

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I dunno, I was trying for an estate on Ebay the other day that looked like it still had a load of tobacco in it from how ever many years ago it got stuck in a drawer. Probably wouldn't want to relight that. Then again, it could have been some old Dunhill or something that isn't produced anymore so, maybe you would?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I usually give up and dump a old bowl if I can't get back to it that same day. However, I have frequently packed and charred a bowl of tobacco the night before an outing because it makes those morning start-ups so much quicker when I'm behind the wheel of a car. Being retired and having plenty of time, the DGT and re-light situation almost never comes up. :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm not retired (yet), but like Cortez the need for a later relight has rarely ever come up for me.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I have taken the burned and ashy bits off an dumped the toby into the jar from whence it came, and reloaded some fresh rather that relighting some that has been in the bowl over night, because I fell asleep.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I usually have three or four pipes half smoked at a time. I pick up a pipe type suited to what I'm going

to do and re-light it. Don't think I've had one loaded more than a couple of days, but as martiniman said,

I've never had a bad experience.
Can't say that about a cigar.... re-lighting the next day for me isn't good.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Can't say that about a cigar.... re-lighting the next day for me isn't good
+1 to that. I've had cigars that I couldn't relight after just an hour.
As for pipes, I think it depends on the blend. Some blends do well with relighting and some don't. I usually only go an hour or two but have done relights the next day, usually with no problem.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Your done relighting when you reach the bottom of the bowl. If you have to relight a Cigar, cut off the burnt end until you reach fresh tobacco. The taste will be OK but not as if it were never smoked.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I read about an expedition to the South Pole where one of the explorers who had left his pipe there several years earlier returned and lit it up. He didn't say if it was any good though. :) I've personally gone about three weeks and did not have a problem.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I've actually relit a bowl of Larry's blend after maybe 2 weeks possibly more because I didn't have a lot left and didn't want to waste it...it was still good :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am basically retired and smoke in my house and car, so if something comes up it usually only takes 15-30 minutes to get back to my pipe. I have never smoked a bowl that sat out overnight, but if that should occur I wouldn't hesitate to relight it based on what everyone here has stated.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
I have never left a partial bowl longer than overnight. But I would assume, and Im sure some will agree with me, as long as it tastes good to you upon relight, than all is fine, if it doesnt, time to dump and reload.

burg

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2012
I agree with pipedreams... I'd imagine you'll know when it has been too long.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Some blends DGT better than others. I have heard that aros do not work well with dgt, but since I rarely dgt,and rarely smoke aros,it has never come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.