PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I am fortunate to have one each of the earlier Mccranie vintages including the ‘83. However, I noticed they were tinned much later than the leaf age. Soooooo, if I wanted to open them at a significant anniversary of their age (x5 or x10 years), which age would I go off of? Basically is my ‘83 tinned in ‘99 turning forty or 24 next year?

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Either way they’ll be fantastic. If you haven’t had it before I’d open it now. It’s smoking fantastic and if you want to acquire more you may want to know that sooner rather than later.

Especially with the epic stash @shaintiques has available right now.

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Either way they’ll be fantastic. If you haven’t had it before I’d open it now. It’s smoking fantastic and if you want to acquire more you may want to know that sooner rather than later.

Especially with the epic stash @shaintiques has available right now.
Hey Alaska. I checked the tobacco trade post forum sections and didn’t see anything, what you be referring to?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If you’re on Instagram check out @thepipery

He has a stash of dozens of 83 red ribbon/flake tins for sale. Among other vintage tins, mostly mcClelland.

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I
If you’re on Instagram check out @thepipery

He has a stash of dozens of 83 red ribbon/flake tins for sale. Among other vintage tins, mostly mcClelland.

I’ve been on their site, and never seen much inventory. Didn’t know it was hiding on instagram. I spend a few $100 a month on consignment tobacco, didn’t know there was a source I was missing. I appreciate the heads up!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I

I’ve been on their site, and never seen much inventory. Didn’t know it was hiding on instagram. I spend a few $100 a month on consignment tobacco, didn’t know there was a source I was missing. I appreciate the heads up!
👍🏻

His Free Pipe Project is pretty cool too if you have any extra stuff you need to get rid of.

Reactions: BriarsAndBottles

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Lol. Well I’m 35, and I’ve had my Mccranie my whole life, so it’s 35 too!
youngster ;) Nah only 9 years older. Smoke it. I think it's as good as it's going to get. And you never know when something will happen like some psycho path starts his tongue collection with yours! I mean unlikely but.... it could happen.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The date on the bottom of your tins is the date they were sealed but the ‘83 is when it was harvested. I just opened a tin of each, the flake and red ribbon and they are smoking amazingly. Sable is right once you get past 20 some things mellow too much but I expect this stuff will hold its own for a good bit more based on what I’m seeing in the tin. Truly one of the most delicious tobaccos ever made. And we don’t sell tobacco on our site, rather I do it personally through my insta or elsewhere.

BriarsAndBottles

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
The date on the bottom of your tins is the date they were sealed but the ‘83 is when it was harvested. I just opened a tin of each, the flake and red ribbon and they are smoking amazingly. Sable is right once you get past 20 some things mellow too much but I expect this stuff will hold its own for a good bit more based on what I’m seeing in the tin. Truly one of the most delicious tobaccos ever made. And we don’t sell tobacco on our site, rather I do it personally through my insta or elsewhere.
Thanks for the reply Shain. So would you say it’s 40 years old next year? Or go off the tin date? Trying to figure out when to open other tins. Like the 40th anniversary, is that 5 years old right now, or older. When you and sable say “20 years” which date are you usually referring to?

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I appreciate the advice Sable. When do you think they hit their sweet spot? Based on your response, would you say judge them by the leaf age, not the tin date? For example when would you open the McClelland 40 year?
It varies. McClelland operated on the same practices as the better British blenders. They aged their blends for years before releasing them, such that they were ready to smoke when released. Further aging would introduce changes that some might consider an improvement, while others might not. The most profound changes happen in the first 5 years, according to Greg Pease, and further change is much more incremental.

When I opened my first tin of the 40th, right after it arrved from my initial order, it was very satisfying, enough so that I bought another 30 tins of it. That reminds me, I should pop another tin of it. I haven't smoked it since that initial tin.

I figure most Virginias are ready to enjoy when released, if pre-aged, or within a few years. They may continue to deepen and sweeten, or not, over the next decade or two, then it starts to get more hit or miss, with some blends becoming overly floral, musky, or just plain dull.

So I don't spend money on buying a 30 year old tin unless I've got money to spend on satisfying my curiosity. And I wouldn't spend a cent on something over 45 to 50 years of age. They may be fine, or they may be zombie vomit and I just don't want to spend the money to find out. Burleys are a better bet to hold their flavor for a long, long time, based on my personal experience. YMMV.