PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2013
I'm new to pipe smoking and even though at first this may be a dumb question since smoking is a personal preference, I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion . Today while walking my dog I lit up the pipe. After getting home, about 40 min later, I felt the urge to fill another bowl. That's when I started thinking... How does this compare to smoking a pack of cigarettes. I don't want to smoke 4 bowls in a day and that be equal to a pack of smokes. I understand your not inhaling into lungs and all that, but wanted to gage how often others are smoking. Love this forum and cheers to all. -Jeff

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Smoke em' if you got em'! Myself, I normally smoke at least one bow a day on my work days, and up to six or seven on my off days. The main thing is to be comfortable with the amount you smoke.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It also depends on what you're smoking. If I smoke a OTC, then I could probably smoke it all day. A big bowl of a strong flake and I usually take a long break. There are a number of old codgers that started a pipe with their coffee and put it down at bedtime.
Most days, I can usually only squeeze a single bowl in due to scheduling but on an off-day with no wife & kids around, I may smoke 6-7 bowls in a day.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I am like Peteso3. At work I can't smoke and our breaks on the rig on not log enough to smoke a bowl so I don't even try at work. I usually smoke one to two bowls in the evening relaxing on the porch or in my shop, but on the weekends or my days off, I smoke as much I as want and as many bowls as I can!! :puffy: :puffpipe:
and BTW welcome to the forum!! :puffpipe:

Dec 9, 2013
Thanks for response. Then I'm "normal" and don't feel bad for smoking 6 bowls last sat when the wife was gone. Lol. How do I find members in northern virginia? Is there a search I can do within this site. Ps. Smoked the Peterson 2013 aromatic special reserve this morning; nice light flavor. I would not rush out to buy it but since holiday around the corner it was a nice blend to smoke. You need to smoke it really slow

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Welcome to the forum blue eyed! You will find that some smoke all day long and others smoke a few times a week or even a few times a month! Every one is different. You will figure out what works for you. Enjoy! That's all that matters!

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I can be all over the place. Some weeks, I have 5-10 bowls. Others might be one. For the past month, I haven't had a smoke at all. It might be even longer than that, actually. I started running 3x/week back in Sept. My desire to have a pipe almost went out the window. And now with the weather around me trying to get into winter, I'm having some minor health issues too. Once everything freezes, I'm fine. Oh, and I've had a chest cold for the past week that I can't seem to shake. So smoking for me as of the past month is out of the question. But, all my pipes have gotten a good, deep clean; along with the bowls and stems all polished up!
Back to the OP, smoke the amount that's comfortable for you. In my case, there are a number of factors that dictate how much I can smoke (not including current health). Being a stay-at-home dad doesn't give me much opportunity. And if I smoke at night, I need to make sure I shower before bed, or it bothers my wife.
Currently, I would be content with 2-3 bowls/week. That's been the perfect balance for me in the past

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I get 1-2 bowls in at night after work days. Weekends I try to get 2-4 in if I can. Lately I've been doing a couple pipes during the day and an evening cigar.

gothicmace

Lurker
Nov 1, 2013
Georgia
I smoke several bowls a day.... everything from some great blends from Hearth&Home to OTC blends like SWR or Half n Half. I like daybreak from H & H in the morning... gives me my nic fix.... I am a pack a day smoker who is now down to having one pack last three days. At work I just fill up my country gentleman cob with my blend for the day.. go out on break... have a few puffs.. and then relight it at lunch and in the afternoon and then finish it up on my short drive home. But... I know the feeling of finishing a bowl and you want more... so do what I do.. HAVE MORE :lol:

Mike

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Another factor is the size of the bowl. My "work" or out of doors pipes are generally on the small side, giving 30 to 40 minutes of smoking. I probably average 8 bowls a day or so. I work for myself and smoke as I must.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'll be getting in plenty of smoke over the next five days ... that I'm OFF! Plus it will be mild weather in the 50's. Perfect for smoking outside. Looking forward to putting a dent in my open containers and binge watching some NetFlix.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I smoke pipe throughout the day. About a pound a month, which translates to about six to ten bowls a day. Been doing this about 30 years now. Never felt better. I've never felt more sure of the road I'm on. Course, I walk a lot. About 25 miles a week. Got a big dog that needs daily walking. Sometimes I'll smoke as I walk. Lunting, as its called. I figure I enjoy both walking and piping, so why not indulge in both. I see them as two sides of the same coin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like to smoke enough to enjoy, but little enough so that if I take a day off, because I'm busy or just

because I feel like it, it doesn't affect my mood. That's my gauge.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I average about 2 bowls per day in the evening for relaxation. But there may be days I don't smoke at all (very few) and there are days I have 6 or 7. It just depends on my schedule, the weather, or what pipe/tobacco I have with me at the moment.
Just find what works for you and go for it. It is all about enjoyment and relaxation. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
1 to 4 bowls a day, depending on various conditions. I consider 3 a normal day.
How does this compare to smoking a pack of cigarettes.
Remember that nails are loaded down with all kinds of chemicals, which increase your health risks.

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
Remember that nails are loaded down with all kinds of chemicals, which increase your health risks.
Agreed. I'd smoke a pack of cigarettes on a Saturday night out and wake up feeling like death. I can smoke down five bowls and two cigars in a day, and feel perfectly fine in the morning.
I smoke a bowl a day when at home. When I'm doing yard work or out and about, it can easily hit five.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I usually smoke 4-5 bowls a day and have a pipe going most of the time I am awake. Smoking a pipe is nothing like smoking cigarettes as you are not inhaling pipe tobacco plus the pipe tobacco does not have any of the nasty chemicals that cigarettes do.

Status
Not open for further replies.