PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
Towards the end of the year I began to wonder if I use my tamper to often. So, at the beginning of the January I decided to perform an experiment. After a successful light I’d put the tamper down and wait until I needed a relight before picking it back up. Then tamp and relight.

I found it surprising how often all I had left was ash. I’ve probably finished more bowls with no dottle last month than I have in the whole of 10 years before that.

I guess I’ve still got stuff to learn.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I occasionally tamp packing a pipe, since sometimes a tamper provides more uniform packing than my finger or thumb. I may tamp after a charring light, or when no charring light is needed after a first light, to settle to ember and center it better. I often tamp if a pipe goes out and needs relighting. But in fact, I usually only tamp two or three times, as needed. As needed is the key phrase. Tamp too much and the bowl gets packed down too tightly.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I probably tamp an average of a dozen times through a bowl. Two or three times at the beginning when lighting, then a couple through the main duration of the bowl, then another 6-8 at the end as I’m keeping the ember going to the end of the tobacco. I probably would tamp more if I wasn’t reading or writing while smoking, but the contemplative nature of the pipe leads me to be more creative and/or focused than allows for frequent tamps.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
not sure what people are doing with tamper to cause tobacco to pack down. usually use tamper to push down only the ash and bring ember to top of tobacco. haven't had problem with tobacco packing down.

i tamp when ember is about to die so i don't have to relight. some times, i still need to relight. also use other end of pipe nail to clean out the ash if the taste is off.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I only tamp when I need too!!!!! Just kidding. I tend to pack my pipes on the loose side. As a result, if i feel the draw getting a little too loose, I'll tamp very gently just basically using the weight of the tamp. The number of times I need to tamp vary based on the pipe, the tobacco, the mood, atmospheric conditions, etc.

I tamp when the pipe starts to go out. 9 out of 10 times it gets revived just by tamping the coals down a tiny bit to make contact with untouched tobacco. I will tamp 5 or 6 times and have to relight once or twice if I pay attention. Several times if not.

Very rarely do I end up with an over-packed situation toward the end. I always start with a very loose lower third to begin with.

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
When relight is a must, I often get a different flavor, not the same taste as at the beginning. I don't get the real, the original taste of tobacco.
How much and how often removing ash is desired ?

Reactions: rushx9 and jpmcwjr

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
I only tamp on relights and it's important to only use the weight of the tamper tool to push down the ash. Sometimes I'll remove some of the ash before relighting. A lot has to do with the cut of the blend I'm smoking.
A lot has to do with the cut of the blend I'm smoking. Absolute RIGHT ?

Reactions: diamondback

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
When relight is a must, I often get a different flavor, not the same taste as at the beginning. I don't get the real, the original taste of tobacco.
How much and how often removing ash is desired ?
I might dump the ash once or not at all. It depends how the bowl is smoking. The ash insulates the ember but can also suffocate I've found at times

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Towards the end of the year I began to wonder if I use my tamper to often. So, at the beginning of the January I decided to perform an experiment. After a successful light I’d put the tamper down and wait until I needed a relight before picking it back up. Then tamp and relight.

I found it surprising how often all I had left was ash. I’ve probably finished more bowls with no dottle last month than I have in the whole of 10 years before that.

I guess I’ve still got stuff to learn.
Thanks for uploading this topic. It was very useful. Huge !!!! ? ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.