Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I tend to smoke a single pipe all day. Unless I find I'm in the mood to change my blends, since I dedicate pipes to specific styles/blends. So I smoke a bowl, run a pipe cleaner through, then immediately -- or within 30-45 minutes -- pack it and fire up another bowl. Three to five bowls a day.
Bob

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I let the pipe sit a whole day, usually longer. Sometimes I will think to myself, "I want some dark star! O wait... I smoked that yesterday" it's a nice way to not smoke up my favorites and mix things up lol

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I'd say if you're afforded the luxury of many pipes, then there's the ability to let the pipes rest for a while after each smoke. But in all actuality of things, you can smoke a pipe multiple times with no real worries.

tankbuster183

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
Deptford NJ
I guess it depends on the circumstance as well; I use my Grabows for driving, walking the dog, fishing, etc. I don't worry about them too much, IMO, good activity pipes. My nicer pipes (well, nice for me) I only use when I sit and read for an hour, so about once a week.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I usually rotate mine after a bowl, but if i feel like having another bowl of that particular tobacco, i let the pipe cool down, run a pipe cleaner through it and lightly swab bottom of bowl with cleaner and fire another bowl up. In between this, i might just pull out another pipe and have a bowl of a different tobacco in between. I don't think i have ever ran more than 3 bowls through one pipe in a given day. Not to say that i would never do that, but just has not happened yet.
The girlfriend and i are heading down to charleston SC this weekend for a good old fashioned southern wedding, and i'm trying to decide how many and which pipes to bring, lol. i have 15 pipes, of which include a mm, a meer, and a morta, the rest briars. i'm thinking the morta or meer, cob, and a briar or two plus a bunch of different tobaccos. Not to hijack the thread, but anyone else ever have this dilemma when traveling? I am driving down there, so do not have to worry about them getting damaged on a plane.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
cosmicfolklore, lol, i thought i was the only one? This occurs right after i finish wiping my behind with my roll of Ben Franklin's special currency toilet paper and watering and trimming my money trees out back. The fruit has been plentiful this season.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The girlfriend and i are heading down to charleston SC this weekend for a good old fashioned southern wedding, and i'm trying to decide how many and which pipes to bring, lol. i have 15 pipes, of which include a mm, a meer, and a morta, the rest briars. i'm thinking the morta or meer, cob, and a briar or two plus a bunch of different tobaccos. Not to hijack the thread, but anyone else ever have this dilemma when traveling? I am driving down there, so do not have to worry about them getting damaged on a plane.
Just keep the pipes handy on the seat beside you. Girl friend goes in back. Not in the trunk--that would be rude.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Cosmic, let me know when you head out on your next trip, I wanna follow you. :) LOL

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Just keep the pipes handy on the seat beside you. Girl friend goes in back. Not in the trunk--that would be rude.
ravkesef, lol, i wish but there would be a Cat 5 Hurticane on the way if i tried, headed directly at me. She already doesn't like tobacco and has never smoked in her life, so we argue circles around the subject on about a weekly basis. She is ok with me smoking but doesn't like the frequency (1-3 bowls a day weekdays, all in one sitting after dinner and usually after she falls asleep, and sometimes a little more on weekends when i get the chance), the smell, my breath, blah blah blah. She has told me before in semi-serious frustration that i choose smoking my pipes over her and that they are more important. I just laugh at her as i am packing a bowl to head out in the back yard, as i always have liked humor in a woman.
On another note, smoking while driving seems a bit like texting and driving and not very practical. I am making assumptions as i have never tried it, but seems like too much going on at one time with tamping, relighting and emptying ashes. Now if i could just get her to drive and let me peacefully puff away the 7 or 8 hours it's going to take to get down to Charleston, then we'd be talking.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It depends on what I'm doing, I suppose. If I am traveling I will take one or two falcon stems and several bowls and swap out the bowls for each smoke. If I am breaking in a pipe it will get smoked 2-3 times a week following my break in regimen. If it is in my normal rotation, it will get smoked no more than once every other day. I run pipe cleaners through them ever every smoke immediately and if I have time go back after they are cooled and do it again with more detail as many have described above, but honestly with a baby in the house I often don't have time to do that. I do run an alcohol dipped cleaner through my falcons immediately after smoking and clean them up, so when pressed for time as I often am these days, I smoke the falcons more. 2 or 3 times a year all of my pipes get a full alcohol scrub in the stem/mortise/air hole and the cake is trimmed as needed (I don't like a lot of cake). My nicer pipes get a lot more rest in between smokes, but that is simply because I only like to smoke them when I have plenty of time to enjoy the experience.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I just got back from a 3 day weekend with my wife. Dinner in Santa Barbara, slept in San Luis Obispo, stopped for lunch in Carmel, artichokes in Castroville, spent 2 days in San Mateo with brother, sister, and family, visited Burlingame, San Francisco, and San Jose.
I brought just 1 pipe. My falcon, and about 4 ounces of tobacco. Smoked about 30 bowls or so through said pipe. Performed like a champ. It did get about 8 hours rest each night as I slept!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
1-2 bowls, when the pipe is cool, it gets cleaned. I have plenty of pipes and don't feel the need to smoke just one. When I travel, it's with a MM cob and a Falcon with 2-3 bowls.
On the other hand, my grampa smoked the same pipe every day, all day. The most he ever did was knock out the ash at the end of the day. That pipe was at least 30 years old when he died - it's no wonder one of the aunts threw it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.