PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
By George, this is the worst re-stemming I've seen. I pun on Mr. D's name, as it's the polar opposite of his craft. I imagine him shouting "Noooooooooo!"
Has anyone photos of anything as bad?
s-l1600.jpg

Oh, yeah, you can bid on it at the 'Bay.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
For an added touch he could have utilized one of these stylish rings.

In fact, I think they are being used on a lot of new pipes these days.

Who needs a smooth and accurate stem transition when you can simply add some bling?
X5B4ao4.jpg

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That's bad for sure, but there is a guy on eBay who regularly sells Dunhills of all vintages that have been restemmed by what I can only imagine is a caffeine-saturated three-fingered monkey on a rough boat ride. The stems look terrible and the shanks are always horribly ground down into a little pinch to meet the edge of the new bad stem. Why do people do that?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That's bad for sure, but there is a guy on eBay who regularly sells Dunhills of all vintages that have been restemmed by what I can only imagine is a caffeine-saturated three-fingered monkey on a rough boat ride. The stems look terrible and the shanks are always horribly ground down into a little pinch to meet the edge of the new bad stem. Why do people do that?
Because the ignorant, uniformed and gullible buy pipes. I know I bought my share before I knew what I was looking at.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The Great Divide between pipe collector/appreciators and pipe smokers will never end.
A significant percentage of PipeWorld citizens literally care about only one thing: can a given pipe be smoked? If the answer is yes, and it tastes good, nothing more matters.
The pipe in the first photo is almost certainly one of those, not ham-fisted repair work.
Most of us care about BOTH smoking our pipes and admiring their style/appearance/rarity, of course, but there are enough people who like only one or the other to provide amusement for the opposite group until the Sun goes nova. :lol:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
If it's for sale, that ... just ... sucks.
If it's just a member of someone's old collection, I wonder how it smokes. :puffy:

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, if it's just a pipe someone cobbled together to smoke it's not so bad. I picked through a box of estates considered not worth restoring at Carousel Tobacconist locally a while back. I got 5 bowls for a couple bucks each which were in good shape. The stems were basically destroyed. I fit black Missouri Meerschaum stems into them and smoke the heck out of them. They actually look a little better than that one believe it or not, but look pretty amateur on close inspection. I smoke them more than my better briars. At first I rode them hard and put them away wet and learned a bit about briars. (Betty Botter bought a bit of baccy but it made her briar bitter. So she bought some better baccy and it made her briar better.)

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Hey Bill. The "B"s in my post were reproducing and I just lost all control. My girlfriend says I'm obsessed with alliteration but she seriously says some stupid shit sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.