PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
none. none of the drug stores around here has pipe tobacco. and since they are otc, i refuse to order online. i'm rather curious with half and half, and granger.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I’ve often wondered, if say one was to buy a tub of granger, how long is it still good to smoke in the tub? Does the tub keep a good enough seal to eliminate the need to jar it up? I want to try this blend but I’m afraid most would end up going to waste.
Throw it in jars. It will last forever. ?

Reactions: diamondback

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
So I’ve often wondered, if say one was to buy a tub of granger, how long is it still good to smoke in the tub? Does the tub keep a good enough seal to eliminate the need to jar it up? I want to try this blend but I’m afraid most would end up going to waste.

I have wondered the same thing. My problem is that a 14 oz tub would probably last me several years because I don’t smoke every day and I would be smoking other things. So I figured I might have to break it up and transfer it to jars.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I had an opened tub of Carter Hall that sat around for 7 yrs and it was still good. In fact, it tasted better after 7 yrs then it did when I first opened it.
Yes. I had an "open" tub of Carter Hall for at least a year, and it was still "too wet" for me to smoke comfortably. I transferred it to a clay jar with no seal, and only after a few months was it finally dry enough for me to smoke.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I’ve only bought pouches of the OTC blends. I’m still trying to decide if I want that much and of which ones. I don’t tend to smoke just one blend which these tubs seem to be designed for. I’ll probably buy a few eventually if only for nostalgia’s sake. My grandfather smoked Prince Albert Cherry.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Yes. I had an "open" tub of Carter Hall for at least a year, and it was still "too wet" for me to smoke comfortably. I transferred it to a clay jar with no seal, and only after a few months was it finally dry enough for me to smoke.

That's helpful to hear! Carter Hall is one of the ones that I could see me buying and taking several years to smoke down.

Reactions: BROBS

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
The John Middleton tubs are great to store tobacco for a long time. Just 3 pumps of the lid and the tub is sealed. I've even used the Middleton tubs to store some of my C&D bulk blends. They will stay fresh for 2 yrs or more.

Reactions: BROBS

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
In a similar vein to collecting pipe tobacco tins for the tin art, over the years I've collected tubs too. Not counting 8 or less ounces here's what a search of my humble cellar revealed -
Brown & Williamson Sir Walter Raleigh
Edgeworth Ready Rubbed
House of Windsor Country Doctor
John Middleton, Inc. Carter Hall
John Middleton, Inc. Kentucky Club Continental Blend
John Middleton, Inc. Prince Albert
John Middleton, Inc. Sugar Barrel (3 tubs)
Kentucky Club Kentucky Club Mixture (2 tubs)
Lane Ltd. Lane Ltd. Ready Rubbed
Lane Ltd. Rum & Maple (Blend No. 53) (4 tubs)
Larus & Brother Co. Rum & Maple (Blend No. 53)
Pinkerton Tobacco Co. Granger
Pipes&Cigars Hearth & Home Mid-Town Chatham Manor
Pipesandcigars.com Trout Stream Limited Edition (2 tubs)

HatMagnet

Lurker
Jan 24, 2020
Arkansas
I like a couple of the OTC "codger" blends, Possibly because I'm getting uncomfortably close to codgerdom myself. :oops:

I really enjoy Carter Hall and I have 2 tubs stashed back against price increases and one tub open that I refill my daily use pouch from. CH is the one that I take to work or whenever I may not have the time to really savor a more expensive tobacco.

I also have a couple of tubs of Granger that I was lucky enough to find on sale and I'll be adding a tub or so of SWR at some point too.

None of the tobacco's I enjoy either OTC or the better blends are going to get any cheaper (especially after I retire) so I'm trying to lay in a stash as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.