PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tubs are associated with established over-the-counter blends. For this purpose, they are usually 12, 14, or 16 ounces. How many tubs, if any, of which brands do you have? I have "only" three of these sizes: PC Home and Hearth Midtown series Chestnut, a match to the discontinued Walnut; Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, burley based with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs; and Granger rough cut Kentucky burley. I also have on hand 8 ounce tins of Iwan Ries Three Star Blue; Spilman Mixture; and Seattle Pipe Club Potlatch. Do you have tubs? Have you ever?

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Zero.
When I first started with a pipe, I figured I would just skip over these and get to the "good stuff".

Presently, realize that I was too quick to judge but now I am too deep in the "good stuff" to justify grabbing grab some of the better lauded OTCs.

Definitely a FIRST WORLD Problem :) puffy
Get the Chestnut, bro I think it was $19 dollars when I bought mine:col:

I want to taste all genre of tobacco myself and decide whether I like it or not. To that effect, I bought a tub of Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. Smoked a couple of bowls, it was sort of ok, not something I would like to smoke regularly, so I jarred it. I will smoke it occasionally as a palette cleanser, and once it’s less green with some age, possibly like it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm still in the "try everything" phase, so the only tobaccos I buy in that type of quantity are the Dark Flake types from the Gawiths that I require for the nicotine and which I smoke at least once a day. I have a list going for the blends I like so much I may eventually buy tubs or big cans of, though.

I do like some of the OTC/codger blends, and I'm meaning to try some of the H&H Midtown versions. If I like the Prince Andrew version enough I could easily see getting a tub of that. Same with Granger. There is always room for an easygoing, burley+ type blend in my life.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
None but now that I know more of what I like, there will be one in my near future. Probably some Carter Hall, Chatham Manor, or SWR, although Granger is looking good, too.

Reactions: diamondback

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
When I first got started I used to buy Captain Black Gold by the tub. I've been tub-free for quite a number of years now, but I do have some nostalgia for it. When I visit my uncle, he's always got a tub of Prince Albert that we'll dip into and share a smoke together. It's fun. You don't have to be fussy with tub tobacco which makes it cool, (even though the blends mostly suck).

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I do not have any tubs yet, but I am starting to move towards buying in larger blends I like in larger quantities and could see me buying a tub or two. My first may very well be Carter Hall.

I am going to explore aromatics again and could see me buying something like SWRA or Anglers Dream in a tub.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
None. I do have a handful of OTCs on hand I just smoke too little to buy tubs. I do have an 8oz can of SPC potlatch though. When P and C had them on clearance for $15.99 it was too cheap to resist.

Reactions: diamondback

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I purchase Lane Ready Rubbed that way. Ages and ages ago, I had some Troost Special Cavendish (I think it was) in a smaller tub. Bought some GLP Gaslight in one of those, as well. The remains of that is in a jar.
I've smoked a number of codger burleys; never found any I like enough to buy in that quantity.
ETA: If some of the Amphora blends were available that way, though, I might be looking at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: docrameous
Status
Not open for further replies.