How Many Treatments To Remove A Bad Ghost?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
I’ve been trying to unghost a pipe for a couple weeks now, very much that Lakeland granny parties scent to it. Have done maybe 5 rounds of salt and alcohol and seems to of dissipated a bit but still there. Has anyone not been able to unghost a pipe? Also, regarding using non-kosher salt, made this mistake the first two times but I thankfully didn’t do any damage to the shank, is it really that possible to crack one using non coarse salt?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
I have a pipe that had a very strong cherry ghost in. I tried 2 rounds of salt treatment and it was still noticeably there, so I just smoked Gawith's Dark Plug in it and the ghost beat a hasty retreat back from whence it came. I can't remember how many bowls it took but I don't think it was that many, maybe 5-8 or something.
The cake was all gone due to the couple of salt treatments so the Dark Plug did its magic and started to build a strong Vabur cake, which no doubt helped.
Maybe coffee grounds are the way to go I don't know, all I can tell you is my experience.
One thing I do know for certain, after smoking Dark Plug with a slight cherry ghost for a little while I'd love Gawith to do a cherry aromatic Dark Plug variant. I can see from tobaccoreviews.com that they did a rum topped one a while back that seemed to go down well. I'd love them bring that back, and like I said do a cherry one, and maybe a whiskey one as well.

Jan 27, 2020
I have a pipe that had a very strong cherry ghost in. I tried 2 rounds of salt treatment and it was still noticeably there, so I just smoked Gawith's Dark Plug in it and the ghost beat a hasty retreat back from whence it came. I can't remember how many bowls it took but I don't think it was that many, maybe 5-8 or something.
The cake was all gone due to the couple of salt treatments so the Dark Plug did its magic and started to build a strong Vabur cake, which no doubt helped.
Maybe coffee grounds are the way to go I don't know, all I can tell you is my experience.
One thing I do know for certain, after smoking Dark Plug with a slight cherry ghost for a little while I'd love Gawith to do a cherry aromatic Dark Plug variant. I can see from tobaccoreviews.com that they did a rum topped one a while back that seemed to go down well. I'd love them bring that back, and like I said do a cherry one, and maybe a whiskey one as well.

Yes, I was thinking of a similar strategy if it persists after the coffee grounds, grounds which I’m trying now, maybe I’ll do the opposites of you answer blast it with a cherry blend.

Have you tried doing your own blending? I’ve been smoking Bob’s Flake recently with a touch of Blackberry Brandy and it’s rather sublime, but only use a bit dried out remnants from my daily tins as I like Bob by himself way too much...

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If you've completely removed all old cake from the bowl and swabbed the shank squeaky clean, and the presence is still there, I'd say try out the coffee grounds method but be sure to use grounds that are still very wet, pack em tight, and let them dry fully for several days (don't be tempted to remove the grounds early or you'll have to start the process over). If that doesn't do the trick, roll out the big guns and just smoke it out like smudger says. If you're ok with latakia, that will work pretty quickly. Another Lakeland or a goopy aromatic might also eat that ghost, but then you'd be stuck with a bigger one. If you can't stand latakia or other aromatics, a mild tobacco that builds cake quickly like Carter Hall or Prince Al might work to put a layer between the ghost and your face.

Jan 27, 2020
If you've completely removed all old cake from the bowl and swabbed the shank squeaky clean, and the presence is still there, I'd say try out the coffee grounds method but be sure to use grounds that are still very wet, pack em tight, and let them dry fully for several days (don't be tempted to remove the grounds early or you'll have to start the process over). If that doesn't do the trick, roll out the big guns and just smoke it out like smudger says. If you're ok with latakia, that will work pretty quickly. Another Lakeland or a goopy aromatic might also eat that ghost, but then you'd be stuck with a bigger one. If you can't stand latakia or other aromatics, a mild tobacco that builds cake quickly like Carter Hall or Prince Al might work to put a layer between the ghost and your face.

If the coffee grounds don’t work I’m going to order some twist and smoke an oz back to back and show the pipe who is in charge...

Jan 27, 2020
This looks like the answer to me... dedicate the pipe to mild Lakelands like Bob's, Rum flake, Hyde Park, etc. If you like blackberry brandy blended with a Kendal base, try some SG Firedance Flake!!! It's my favorite aro, and blends well.

Actually, I just ordered 50grams of rum twist to dedicate to healing this pipe. Maybe my daily pipes would stink to others as I smoke both VaPers and Bob’s interchangeable. I’ll re-add Firedance to one of my many wishlists, funny as they also have a Snuff named fire dance which I believe had some cinnamon in it.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I’ll re-add Firedance to one of my many wishlists, funny as they also have a Snuff named fire dance which I believe had some cinnamon in it.
I've only tried American "Dental" brand Sweet Snuff, but I've seen Firedance Snuff online and often thought that if it smells anything like the Flake it must be heavenly! The Dental brand was pretty rough on the sinuses, but I've heard that's a common issue with American brands and not so much with European ones.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I've only tried American "Dental" brand Sweet Snuff, but I've seen Firedance Snuff online and often thought that if it smells anything like the Flake it must be heavenly! The Dental brand was pretty rough on the sinuses, but I've heard that's a common issue with American brands and not so much with European ones.

I really cannot stand any of the Americans snuffs, really awful... luckily a couple UK snuff sites ship to the US in a timely manner, I wouldn’t mind a tin right now but ordering just one is a waste after paying shipping. Not sure you’d like the fire dance snuff, I think they just share the name and not much else’s...

• Sad
Reactions: jpmcwjr and rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I wonder if you could use a small pinch of snuff as a bowl topper, kinda like a tobacco kif/hash, and still taste the toppings? I imagine the trick would be to keep the direct flame off the snuff and just barely get it smoldering.

Jan 27, 2020
I wonder if you could use a small pinch of snuff as a bowl topper, kinda like a tobacco kif/hash, and still taste the toppings? I imagine the trick would be to keep the direct flame off the snuff and just barely get it smoldering.

Not sure, probably not not as many of the snuffs have a certain moisture, some even “oiled” in a way, very different I believe in how pipe tobaccos are cased and topped.

Reactions: rushx9
Jan 27, 2020
That sucks... I had hoped the Gawith snuffs were the exact same tobaccos and toppings as the flakes, just ground to dust?.

The Gawith snuffs aren't so great actually, at least for me, the one that I do like and is pretty popular is a mentholated apricot but I believe it’s actually made by a German company for them or they license the name (I forgot). Snuff honestly has a lot less nuance than pipe tobacco exception for a couple of the more speciality producers, but even with them it’s a much less complex experience than a nice pipe tobacco.

Reactions: rushx9
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I really cannot stand any of the Americans snuffs, really awful... luckily a couple UK snuff sites ship to the US in a timely manner, I wouldn’t mind a tin right now but ordering just one is a waste after paying shipping. Not sure you’d like the fire dance snuff, I think they just share the name and not much else’s...
In my humble opinion, when it comes to Snuffs there is the only country where they do how it's supposed to be done right way: Sweden and when Chewing tobacco is concerned: then The U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.