PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I currently have exactly 30 tins open for me to smoke out of. I also have half a dozen bulk blends, that I also I smoke through through. 30 open tins is about my max as I don't have much room after that. It is a number that gives me the variety that works for me.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
With how much would you be comfortable? Is there stuff you really like? This question has risen a dozen times. I have 8 open now, i intend to have 10 open and smoke each once a week. This gives my "cellar" a chance to age. Act as if this is a long term game. I have 2 blends which I intend to go deep on and I still have a lot of time to pick the other 8. If my smoking habits ask for more blends I'll try more and have more tins open.

Reactions: jafo1989 and JOHN72

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I honestly don’t even think about it. I just smoke whatever I’m in the mood for at a given moment. I also often get a little over-intrigued by recommendations or reviews of something that sounds good to me. So I’ll order a couple ounces and try those as well. And I always pop the tin or bag almost immediately upon arrival and take a whiff and try a bowl. Can’t help it.

I’d say I currently have around 15 opened tobaccos. But not all of those are “in the rotation.” I might smoke a few bowls one day, then jar it and not touch it for a month or so.

So I guess if truly pressed, I currently have only 2 blends firmly “in the rotation.” These are the 2 I smoke almost daily: Nightcap, and Graduate (my fave, from Schwab’s Pipes N Stuff, a local B&M.) But the wind could blow and change that at any given moment.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It is up to you. Personally i suggest only having one or two open because i think you will learn more going through one tin and not worrying about variety.for example when you get that particulary perfect smoke you find it easier to figure out why. And of all tobacco pipds are the most subtle and finicky a an ok blend smokdd well is better then a great blend smoked sloppy. Though just my opinion and your pipes and tobaccos bought with your money

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Way too many! around 40 I believe. It's more of a monthly rotation than weekly
And now the replies coming in from folks bemoaning having a few dozen open tins & jars catches up to the unmentioned subtext of my original question. In the past couple of weeks I seem to have come down with a case of PAD. I can’t afford TAD on top of it. ?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
And now the replies coming in from folks bemoaning having a few dozen open tins & jars catches up to the unmentioned subtext of my original question. In the past couple of weeks I seem to have come down with a case of PAD. I can’t afford TAD on top of it. ?
IMO TAD>PAD, especially if you have a lot of years ahead of you.

Reactions: jafo1989

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
IMO TAD>PAD, especially if you have a lot of years ahead of you.
I wouldn’t disagree with you. My hobbies though tend to get started when I get curious about how to refurbish/restore something. Pipes just happened to open up when I was getting stale on other things.

OldRocko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
South Florida USA
Kind of a rookie question, but since I only picked up a pipe back in September, what’s a fair number of tobaccos to have in active rotation, esp. while I’m figuring out what I like? I’ve been reluctant to open more than 5-6 for some reason, I guess so as not to have a dozen more unsealed before I’m ready to get to ‘em. ?‍♂️
As a newbie, I also ask myself this question - perhaps because I haven't yet started cellaring and am afraid of my tobacco going bad (as I live in high humidity area). But wouldn't the rate of consumption also matter? If you don't smoke that often, does it make sense to have a bunch of tins unsealed? I've read previous posts about smoking frequency and the numbers are all over. Also, what is the best approach to develop the palate? Do you try and change tobaccos often, or do you become familiar with a few before eventually adding more to your repertoire?

Reactions: jafo1989

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
As a newbie, I also ask myself this question - perhaps because I haven't yet started cellaring and am afraid of my tobacco going bad (as I live in high humidity area). But wouldn't the rate of consumption also matter? If you don't smoke that often, does it make sense to have a bunch of tins unsealed? I've read previous posts about smoking frequency and the numbers are all over. Also, what is the best approach to develop the palate? Do you try and change tobaccos often, or do you become familiar with a few before eventually adding more to your repertoire?

Sounds like you’ve been approaching it like I have to this point: what’s a good number of blends to be working through as a rookie on the one hand, but what’s too many on the other? As this thread’s developed I’m persuaded to really only lean into 5-6 for now. I’ll stick with the starter pouches for a bit longer & then start opening tins because the name & art are cool. ?

When you’re first starting out, why tie yourself down to a tin of something that’s not floating your boat? Jar it up and revisit later and move on. If you like it, smoke it up and buy a few or 20 more to age. Eventually you’ll have a boatload of jars to dip into for your active rotation and a cellar to age.

Cosmic knows all this, he’s just….well, really I couldn’t tell you why. It’s funny like that around here. ?
Oh, All tins in my rotation are beloved. But, only one or two will be open that I’m trying out. And, I will put away something that doesn’t float my boat. I just give a blend like that a fair optimistic chance, IMO.

Starting out, I was the opposite. I’d have a whole shelf of things open, but that got confusing for me. And, with experience my tastes have narrowed, so 4-6 open at a time works for me.

I say my tastes have narrowed, but that’s not entirely accurate. I like a lot more variety of types, just less of each type, if that makes sense.

Reactions: jafo1989 and JOHN72