How Many Tobaccos Do You Have Open and Smoking at Once?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Uhhh I've got maybe 70+ jars with stuff in them that I pick and choose from. I'm hoping to work my way through those and get them down to 20 before I open my cellared tins.
Heck I've got a box sitting next to me with over 20 unopened tins of new to me blends that I'd like to get around to trying. Most of those tins in this box are 2 to 3 years old and I haven't opened them yet as I'm trying to work down those open jars.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
Any tins I open, the contents go straight into a 250ml mason jar.

I just checked and I have exactly thirty different blends on rotation with some seeing considerably more action than others.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I’m such a tobacco slut, it’s pathetic. Anytime I travel I try to go to the local B&M to purchase something. Preferably a blend they make in house. The consequence is I’ve amassed well over 100 in jars that I don’t necessarily consider my cellar. I have a bookcase that has a favorites shelf, an occasional shelf and a rare occasion shelf that I pull from. Then I have a collection of tobacco that I swore was going to be delicious but alas, I was wrong, again. Those I trade or give away to family and friends when we smoke together.

I have well over 400lbs at my disposal, however I hate to have too many open at one time. I learn more about a tobacco by delving into it exploring every nuance that I can of it.
I always have one aromatic open,

and one Virginia open.

In Summer I have a VaPer or VaBur open,

and in Winter I have a Latakia, Balkan, or Oriental open.

And, one strong blend or twist
And, if one doesn't fit a category, I'll not hesitate to open it. But, overall, I keep a pipe burning all of my waking hours, and I can sometimes burn through a tin in a couple of days. So, I never get bored having so few open.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2uNAk4Fx3L6Bn.jpg

fabioptrn

Lurker
Jan 6, 2018
At most I open two tin at a time, but they must be very different mixtures (for example, virginia base and hard latakia). The type of mixture that I decide to open change often because I have a lot of tobaccos and a lot to try for the first time.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Currently I have about 65 mason jars that I pull from. Anything I get in bulk goes into a jar, and anytime I open a tin it goes in a jar. As I like a bit of variety I tend to have a bunch of stuff available on a regular basis.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I have well over 400lbs at my disposal,

Holy Smokes.....I only have about 6 jars and about 10 unopened tins on hand.I better get a move on..I'm way behind !!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have well over 400lbs at my disposal, however I hate to have too many open at one time. I learn more about a tobacco by delving into it exploring every nuance that I can of it.
Does that include tobacco under cultivation?? :)
I can't imagine storing or stowing away that much!

I just started seed for this year’s crop. This will be the largest to date, so I can continue exploring curing a good red. But, no, I don’t count my own home grown twists. And, the App that I was keeping my inventory on froze up on an OS upgrade. I will probably have to add it to that webbased inventory this Spring when I have time. Pisses me off. But, I know that my recent 5100 hoard throws me over the 400# mark by a good arm’s length.
But, if I had as many blends open as some of you guys, it’d take me forever to decide what to pack, and I’d forget what I was smoking after the char.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Only one tin at a time, (same for any tobacco that I have in jars). Usually when it gets to less than a bowl left in the tin, it gets thrown into a tub with the left overs from previous tins.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have no idea anymore what it all weighs, but it's less than my Capt. Duane has. He's such a hoarder. [:mrgreen:]
We prefer the term "collector". [:rofl:]
We calls that ballast!
jay-roger.jpg

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Thanks guys. It was really fun organizing it. I had an unfinished wall in the basement (man cave area), with the 2x4 studs exposed , a drunken moment of brilliance realized how easy it would be to make shelves . Separated by style Virginia’s and burleys , English and orientals, and aeromatics . Then alphabetically .

Status
Not open for further replies.