How Many Blends and other Items have PG in Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
That something may be useful in a lot of external applications says absolutely nothing about its safety when consumed.

Right, we don’t know how safe something is.

I certainly don’t know and have all the facts, but when you look at the vast amount of consumer based products for external use and the vast amount of medical products for external use, the point I’m making, is that there are not a lot of things that are produced in the world, where they can be applied both externally and internally.

Reactions: Briar Lee
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Right, we don’t know how safe something is.

I certainly don’t know and have all the facts, but when you look at the vast amount of consumer based products for external use and the vast amount of medical products for external use, the point I’m making, is that there are not a lot of things that are produced in the world, where they can be applied both externally and internally.

You are welcome to personally feel things are safe or unsafe, but evidence would be more convincing to others. ;)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You are welcome to feel as afraid of anything as you'd like, but without evidence, you're not making much of a point. ;)

I did post links that have evidence to the hazards of PG, if this is what your are referring to.

Otherwise I’m not sure what Evidence you are referring to, in regards to what?

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just wonder how many blenders have considered using Honey in place of PG?

We all know honey, when used as a topping brings sweetness to the blend.

Don’t quote me on this, but I thought I read it’s been used like a casing to smooth the rough edges out, making for a smoother smoke, not sweeter, smoother.

So, hmm, I wonder how possible it is, to use it as a natural humectant, which as we know imparts other benefits to the tobacco, and we then have an all around better alternative, health wise and taste wise. hmm 🤔

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I did post links that have evidence to the hazards of PG, if this is what your are referring to.

Otherwise I’m not sure what Evidence you are referring to, in regards to what?
The "hazards" arising when you eat or inject a bunch of it, especially if you're an infant. I'll keep that in mind. ;) Even your "Dr Naturopath" blog articles had to admit in the end that they didn't have evidence that it was dangerous in small doses...

Sorry if this sounds combative. We humans sometimes like to find reasons to worry (maybe since we're no longer chased by large creatures or something), and I'm also a bit of a worrier, so I'm used to challenging thoughts like that... ;)

Reactions: Buffalo and Kobold

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
None of these are ‘My’ articles, so please refrain from making it personal. Your Dr., I said before I only posted it and know nothing about it.

I simply posted links for people to read, that is all.

Please be aware I’m not making any of this my thing, or personal, it’s not.

It’s simply a post I made, discussing is all.

One thing, from what I understand is that there’s no such thing as a safe chemical, they all have side effects to one degree or another.

But one of the most important things to realize, is when you combine multiple drugs, you increase their toxicity. Just Google, if you want to know, if you’re unaware of this.

So for combining different drugs, we should look at it the same way, artificial ingredients in tobacco, combined with nicotine and the carcinogenic effects, it seems logical to consider, you increase the risks.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Please share where you can find this information online?

I’ve never read anything online that states PG is a natural by product in the body.

Thanks
This is from wikipedia,but I'll post the citation with it so you can check it out:

Propylene glycol occurs naturally, probably as the result of anaerobic catabolism of sugars in the human gut. It is degraded by vitamin B12-dependent enzymes, which convert it to propionaldehyde.[71]

[71] Leal, Nicole A.; Havemann, Gregory D.; Bobik, Thomas A. (2003). "PduP is a coenzyme-a-acylating propionaldehyde dehydrogenase associated with the polyhedral bodies involved in B12 -dependent 1,2-propanediol degradation by Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium LT2". Archives of Microbiology. 180 (5): 353–361. doi:10.1007/s00203-003-0601-0. PMID 14504694. S2CID 44010353.

Reactions: spicy_boiii
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
You can’t simply say Alcohol and put them all under one classification.

Also a lot, if not most alcohol, like whiskey, scotch, vodka, are derived from natural sources grains and starches like potatoes.

But I am reading that PG has been created synthetically, but it can also be produced naturally too.

So, the question begs, how safe is the naturally made PG, and then, do any of the tobacco blenders out there use it’s natural form... hmm 🤔
My point was, alcohol of its many forms has both external used and is also consumed by society. PG is not unique in this. There are many things people use externally and also consume.

We consume plenty of food items coated in carnauba wax. We also buff our pipes with it. You ever lick a bar of carnauba wax?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
My point was, alcohol of its many forms has both external used and is also consumed by society. PG is not unique in this. There are many things people use externally and also consume.

We consume plenty of food items coated in carnauba wax. We also buff our pipes with it. You ever lick a bar of carnauba wax?

It’s my understanding there are four types of alcohol;

rubbing, denatured, ethyl, isopropyl

Which one are you referring to?

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I don't stress about it. In fact, the stress or anxiety about it probably is worse for me than the actual PG. I realize we are all different, and you seem to prioritize a much more natural and healthy lifestyle than most. That's cool, my wife is like that as well. In the end it is all risk assessment, and we need to decide what we are ok with and what we aren't.

In my world, processed meats, fast food, refined sugar items (pop, juice, ice cream) are far more deadly and worthy of attention. Come to think of it, radon is fairly common around here, and much more dangerous.

If you are seriously turned off by PG, maybe blending your own is an option? You can buy whole leaf and a shredder and then smoke to your enjoyment.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@jiminy the post isn’t about me, even though I shared some thoughts.

This is a discussion on PG, and trying to understand the real facts, and then make educated choices as consumers.

Whatever anyone decides, great, let‘s please not get distracted about discussing the topic, what it‘s meant to be.

Sorry if it seemed this was all about me, and making it off topic.

I’m here to learn and discuss PG, not my personal opinions.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Of course we don’t drink these, my bad, I was thinking about something else, when you brought up Alcohol. I was thinking about all of them for external usages, not internally.

But I thought there are denatured spirits you can drink, formulated this way.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Really? On a pipe smokers site? How do you separate the facts from the fantasy? Still, it is an entertaining thread.

Sharing by whatever professional information is found online.

This is why I posted a few government websites, with actual factual information, not just hearsay.

But I certainly understand your point, we just have to find actual proof online, whatever is out there.

The US Government and Medical Industry do post reports on various things online, I was just trying to track down what might be out there for PG.

Also, other members from other countries might find government/medical reports from their countries as well.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Here‘s a report from the Deputy Prime Minister of Malta.

It mentions PG produces harmful substances when it is burnt.

Deputy Prime Minister of Malta on PG.

P.S. I’m only researching PG online, as I come across various sources of information like this.

Of course this isn’t much to go on here, but I thought I’d share it nonetheless.

So I guess, need to find, what harmful substances are produced when it’s burned with tobacco, would be interesting to know.

I’ll keep researching/looking... 👀