Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

Akousticplyr

Preferred Member
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
The variety of pipe tobaccos astounds me. Especially considering the short list of main ingredients ie tobacco leaves.

Tobacco reviews has 7,679 tobaccos listed. ūüėĶ

Do you think that’s an accurate tally of total blends?
High due to discontinued production?
Low due to never being reviewed?

I think it‚Äôs higher as smoking has been around since we domesticated the dog lol. ‚ÄúDouble it and add 10 percent!‚ÄĚ

‚ÄėRegardless, I have some catching up to do.

Reactions: BROBS

mortonbriar

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2013
I do find that it is less overwhelming when you start to find recipe trends within the genre's, often its not much more than ratio's changing (I am sure producers would disagree about it being this simple, I am merely referring to my palate's take on it.)

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
A number is speculative. I'd say the 7679 number might be the right order of magnitude provided that you are talking about Western World commercial blends since 1900 blended wholesale for retail selling to consumers. Something like that. Asia, Africa, and South America and various island nations like Indonesia would probably double this number, whatever it is. Then you get down to blends actually blended by retail shops, and the many thousand blends concocted as mixes from base and condiment tobaccos by smokers themselves, and it really mounts the numbers. Many commercial blends differ mostly in proportions and hugely in flavorings, so there are those. The fact that a reference index listed the 7679 number gives it a sort of working credibility I would respect, with all of the given provisos. Thanks for reporting that out. It's an interesting piece of data.

Reactions: twoonefive

anthony416

Sep 30, 2016
Possibly a little low overall, even I listed a new one on that site last year that had been around for a while.

Reactions: BROBS

greeneyes

Preferred Member
Jun 5, 2018
When you browse old tobacco periodicals and get an inkling of all of the blends that have been lost to time...
Over the decades, pages and pages like this. Maybe an old rusty tin survived, if that. I'd say the number was several times larger than 7000.

Clipboard01.jpg

Reactions: twoonefive

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
If you are going by the number of names, once you take all of the Lane's and other bulks, renamed and marketed by various retailers, the number of distinctly different blends probably shrinks markedly.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
How many blends since the beginning? It boggles the mind. But really other than captain Black Grape what more do you need?

• Haha
Reactions: Akousticplyr