PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Trying to do the math and figure out how many Lbs. of Luxury Navy Flake would equal 22,000 bowls. Any rough estimates? :ROFLMAO:

I find that my bowls tend to fit about 1 flake fold n' stuff style.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
I want to clarify this is all for the giggles. Now, if it comes out, that this equals like 10lbs... I just may go ahead and take the leap lol: my wife already thinks I'm crazy. I'd love her to find out what crazy really looks like.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Trying to do the math and figure out how many Lbs. of Luxury Navy Flake would equal 22,000 bowls. Any rough estimates? :ROFLMAO:

I find that my bowls tend to fit about 1 flake fold n' stuff style.
Most LNF is cut 12 flakes to the ounce.

192 flakes a pound.

That’s nearly 115 pounds of LSF, for about 20,000 flakes.

At 6 pounds for $240, that’s about 19 $240 orders, or $4,560 worth of Va Per.

At a pound a month that’s damned near ten years.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
You're leaving money on the table if you don't do this. Plus if you shopped some sales when bulk was discounted, you'd do even better.
Well, I mean... now I kind of have to. In all seriousness, If I contented myself with Elijah Craig or Evan Williams for a year, and drank through my scotch reserves... I could make this happen. I'll call it: the 50 year plan, and I'll chunk it up into lbs. So, 125lbs of tobacco can be divided into 3 bulk blends of 41lbs each. I'd probably want just straight virginia and vapers so, LNF, LBF, and maybe 507-c slices. If I bought all at once, with a 20% discount, I'd only need ~$4,000, or setting aside around $333.00 a month.

But, what does $4,000 worth of baccy even look like... Seems like this would take an entire basement? I'd want it jarred to make it accessible by the year, so, that would be roughly 365 flakes/slices that i'd need access to once a year. I could re-use the jars I placed them in each year, and then have a whole bunch of 64oz jars? But, I don't think the mason jars map to the oz/tobacco on a 1:1 ration, so I'm not sure how many I'd need? Once a year, I'd open the necessary 64oz jars, then re-jar into monthly jars.

Hahahaha, I'm sure someone has done something like this before...

Reactions: wyfbane

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I can tell you, definitively, that it does not.
Agreed. I sold off some of my cellar about six years ago: $6,000 of tobacco was sitting on a single shelf (5-feet wide, 3-feet deep) in the basement.

Of course, that’s all relative to what you’re storing. $6,000 in bulk blends will take up far more room than $6,000 in tinned blends.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
It takes seven stackable totes (24"X30x20") to hold 125lb of flake tobacco stored in quart mason jars. Some of the best things in life is learned by experience.
This is exactly what I was after. Thanks to you, and all who replied!

Reactions: wyfbane

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Well, I mean... now I kind of have to. In all seriousness, If I contented myself with Elijah Craig or Evan Williams for a year, and drank through my scotch reserves... I could make this happen. I'll call it: the 50 year plan, and I'll chunk it up into lbs. So, 125lbs of tobacco can be divided into 3 bulk blends of 41lbs each. I'd probably want just straight virginia and vapers so, LNF, LBF, and maybe 507-c slices. If I bought all at once, with a 20% discount, I'd only need ~$4,000, or setting aside around $333.00 a month.

But, what does $4,000 worth of baccy even look like... Seems like this would take an entire basement? I'd want it jarred to make it accessible by the year, so, that would be roughly 365 flakes/slices that i'd need access to once a year. I could re-use the jars I placed them in each year, and then have a whole bunch of 64oz jars? But, I don't think the mason jars map to the oz/tobacco on a 1:1 ration, so I'm not sure how many I'd need? Once a year, I'd open the necessary 64oz jars, then re-jar into monthly jars.

Hahahaha, I'm sure someone has done something like this before...
Mylar is your friend...such a space saver but even more then that is the weight it saves. Trust me, if you ever move you'll thank me.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Mylar is your friend...such a space saver but even more then that is the weight it saves. Trust me, if you ever move you'll thank me.
Would the idea be to just throw the baccy in and seal it up? For instance, I get a shipment of, say, 6lbs... depending on bag size, I'd just throw it in, assuming with the original plastic wrap and all, seal it up, and done sir done?

Reading through this thread now: Long Term Tobacco Storage - Mylar :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/long-term-tobacco-storage-mylar.60125/#:~:text=Short%20answer%3A%20The%20better%20quality,be%20vacuum%20and%20heat%20sealed.