PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
About twenty, I tend to work through blending houses such as Cornell and Diehl and McClelland.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I am wondering if I need to reset my cap of the Top200 for my Cellar. I take the recent traumatic lifting of the Swiss Franc cap to the Euro as an omen. So many delicious new blends keep coming out, so much so that I have passed the 1300 mark for blends on hand, although admittedly, several hundred are on deck yet to be sampled. The criterion for inclusion in the Top200 Cellar is the blend has to rank high enough in its genre (Latakia; Virginia and VAPer [including nominal amounts of burley therein]; Orientals) to justify stocking 1+pounds. I have had limited success demoting a few blends, though not before I stashed 1-5 pounds each, in order to make room for more worthy representatives.
I am starting to worry about the possibility that my older Lats will diminish before I polish them off. My rate of puffing averages 3 smallish bowls a day. But I do get some help from the members of the several pipe clubs I hang with.
hp

les

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I got my first tin of tobacco exactly one year ago, Irish Oak by Peterson. Over the course of the year I've managed to try about a dozen differennt blends. I've also managed to stock up a little over 3 lbs with 15 different blends; the majority untried. I am now ready to repurchase certain blends that I'm sure I will smoke on into the future such as SG Balkan Flake, Peterson Irish Flake and Comoy's Cask No. 7 for starters. I don't want more than 5 years supply on hand at any given time and I don't want every blend under the Sun either. My aromatic favorites like Mac Baren Cube Silver, Mac Baren Vanilla Cream and Obester Vanilla I will limit to a one year supply as I understand aging aros is much riskier than aging non aros.
I honestly didn't understand why so many here stockpile, but for me it's a little personal indulgence and I've surprised myself at how quickly I built up my tobacco reserves.
And as cosmic says:
I am constantly trying to balance between smoking more, so that I can try out all of the backstocked tins that I want to try, and smoking less, so that I don't have a heart attack, ha ha.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Twenty four blends of which four, my favorites, are in multiple pound quantities.

50/50 : bulk/tins

Status
Not open for further replies.