Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Being a newbie to smoking a pipe and still waiting for my starter kit to arrive it just dawned on me wondering how many bowls you would get out of a 1 1/2 oz. pouch of tobacco.

I realize that there are some variables to this ie. bowl size, how tight the tobacco is packed.
Mark

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
15 or so bowls I'd imagine depending on bowl size. I smoke 1 bowl of a certain blend every day and 2 oz. lasts me 2-1/2 weeks or so. Pipe bowl size varies from medium to large.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I think the Brad in question is forum member tbradsim1 who is notorious for smoking large-bowled pipes. So, if I interpret correctly, the joke is that Brad (tbradsim1) would get significantly less than 15 bowls out of 1.5 oz of tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A lot of variables on size of pipe bowl, how deep you pack it, how tight; but 10-15 is about the right ballpark. Most starter kits have what would be a Group 3 or 4, somewhat medium size bowl, and as a beginner, you might not pack it to the brim, at least at first, so you will likely get more toward the 15 bowls or a little better, but it's just a guess. Compared to cigars, even inexpensive cigars, it's a very thrifty smoke. When you learn a little more, it's an excuse to indulge in a tin of really good tobacco, not just the bulk and pouches, although those can be terrific in their own rights.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
One tobacconist told me the average pipe bowl contains 3 grams. 1.5 oz equals 42.5 grams. Divided by 3 would give just around 14 bowls.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Haven't posted for a while. Accept my apologies. I recently counted around twenty bowls from a 50g pouch. That would last five days, averaging 4 bowls a day. Larger pipes will make that less, of course.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
No apology needed geo3rge

I am only smoking 1 bowl a day, a mid evening treat so 1 1/2 oz is going to last me a while.
Mark

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I get anywhere from 12.5 to 16.66 bowls out of a 50 gram tin. Depending on the size of the pipe I use, group 4( 3 grams a bowl), group 5(4 grams a bowl) will determine how many bowls per tin I get. Now I smoke only flake tobacco so when it comes to different cuts, I have no idea for a ribbon or the like. When you figure out how many grams per bowl you smoke, you can figure the approximate cost per bowl. No matter what cut you use or how many grams per bowl, I think you will find, pipe smoking is the least expensive way to smoke tobacco. My most expensive blend is Capstan Blue and at 12 bucks a tin, smoking a tin in a group 4 pipe, it will only cost me .75 cents a bowl which for me is the most expensive tin I own, that is a damn good deal. For 75cents, I can get an hour and a half of smoking pleasure smoking the most expensive tobacco out there. When people look for bulks to save money, think about smoking something that you are just ok with instead of something you love, just so you can save 30 cents a bowl.
For me, I would much rather spend the extra 30 cents and smoke what I love. 30 cents is not going to alter my lifestyle in any way shape or form. I seriously doubt, 30 cents is going to alter anyone elses life style either.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
For me, I would much rather spend the extra 30 cents and smoke what I love. 30 cents is not going to alter my lifestyle in any way shape or form. I seriously doubt, 30 cents is going to alter anyone elses life style either.
Absolutely, cigrmaster. Not to mention the cost when compared to a good stick!

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks for the informative post cigrmaster.
The last time I checked, a pack of cigarettes was $11 here and a 1 1/2 oz pouch of pipe tobacco is $26. Right now I am only smoking 1 bowl a day, maybe two on the weekends. I have no desire to smoke a cigarette, I find the smell appalling actually.
When I look at what tobacco I want to try, I read some reviews and write down what I want, I don't really look too hard at the price.
Since I am a newbie at this I am still trying to figure out what's what with tobacco and packing the pipe and everything else involved with pipe smoking.

Even though I am only 2 weeks into this journey it sure is an interesting one !!!
Mark

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When people look for bulks to save money, think about smoking something that you are just ok with instead of something you love, just so you can save 30 cents a bowl.
I buy Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake and Lane Limited's 1Q because I love the blends, not because they're bulk blends and cheaper.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
2- 3 bowls a week. Very moderate piper.

I do however, enjoy these times....

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
After keeping track for a few years, I find this:
Most tobaccos give me 9 bowls per ounce, with a little bit of variance.

Sam Gawith tobaccos give me 7 bowls per ounce, with a little bit of variance.
I would say my pipes tend toward pretty average in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.