PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been away for a while and don't really know any of the new folks so I figured I would ask this question. Yes it is a question that may have been asked once or twice in the past. It is a question that is universally acknowledged to be the most important question ever asked on this or any other pipe forum. You of course realize that by my asking the question, it is fundamentally more important than if anyone else had asked it. You may proceed.
Oh yeah, I smoke anywhere from 3-5 bowls per day.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, you are my hero. I feel like when I am smoking even 5 bowls a day I never take the pipe out of my mouth. My normal bowl last for 1.5 hours. I smoke almost exclusively group 4-5 sized pipes. How in the hell do you get 10-12 in one single day? Are you waking up at 6 am and going to sleep at 12 am and smoking every minute you are awake? What size bowls do you smoke? I know jiminks is in your league.

Reactions: magnumsmoker

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a good exercise in self-honesty. I'd say I average one bowl a day, some days two, some days none. But I know some days I'll do three or four, and I have gone for several days without, preoccupied or traveling. When I check back on "what are you smoking," this sounds about right, though I don't log in every bowl. I hope to keep it moderate, so it is a pleasure and not just a habit, and in hopes it won't cause any health problems, or contribute to them. The folks on Forums who have reduced or quit for health reasons mostly seem to have other have problems from other conditions that are aggravated by pipe smoking.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
During the fall, 2-3 bowls a day; and during summer (maybe) less than a bowl a day.
I enjoy medium to large bowls, and can make a flake last 2-3 hours.
So, throughout the year, I average a bowl a day.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Monday thru Thursday= 2 bowls, that damn work gets in the way
Friday-Sunday more like 4 bowls

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
0-5 bowls a day.
On those 0 bowl days, I make sure to get in at least 30 minutes of clenching practice...it's been helping. :lol:

I don't "get" those group sizes. Some say they have to do with the size of the briar used and nothing to do with the size of the chamber.

Most of my pipes are stacks, .75" x 1.5", but some are wider, some taller. I find that the width of the chamber has absolutely nothing to do with the duration of a smoke. I figure about an hour per bowl, and I see no reason whatsoever to NOT have a pipe in my mouth. I really don't sleep much. Maybe four or five hours and my damn bladder makes me get up and drink coffee and smoke.

Something has to kill me, and I might as well have a say in my own demise.

Reactions: magnumsmoker

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Different bowl sizes but about 35 -40 grams a day.

The first thing I do in the morning is to fill a pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, a group 4 sized pipe would be around the following dimensions. Bowl height 1.75", bowl width .80, bowl depth 1.4. The difference in a group 5 would be bowl height 2.0, bowl depth 1.75 and bowl width .80. Most bowl widths range from .75-1.0. The group number is strictly about inside bowl dimensions. It has nothing to to with the length of the pipe or the outside size of the briar. You can have a huge chunk of briar and it still be a group 4 sized pipe.
The group sizes came from the Dunhill pipe company. They are the ones who first used it to tell people the size of their pipes. It is a guide and not an exact number. They also use the group sizes for their pricing. A group 6 is always more expensive than a group 4. Their ODA size is their largest and those can be somewhere around a 2.25 bowl height,1.0 bowl width and a 2.0 bowl depth. You can smoke that puppy for a good three hours with flake in it.

Begging your pardon, but that still doesn't make sense. Just say a .75" x 1.2", if that is what you want to convey. There are still Dunnie experts that say it is based on the block size. Anyways, Dunhill is all cologne and belts nowadays. I don't even associate that pathetic name with pipes any more. F'em.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
Anywhere from 4 to 10. My bladder wakes me up at 6am and nothing like starting the day with a large mug of coffee and a large bowl of Blue Capstan.

I don't know anything about bowl sizes but the sizes go from a tiny Dr. Boston Lady to a huge Preben Holm bathtub.
I would have posted a picture of the two pipes in my album which I have done before but this time I can't get it to work.
:puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, The 3 numbers that are relevant are bowl height(2.0) bowl width(.80) and bowl depth(1.50) these number equal an average group 5 sized pipe. If you want, you can get a ruler, measure all your pipes, send me the info and we can put little stickers on the bottom of your pipes so you know what you are smoking. :nana:

Mar 29, 2016
I'm an irregular smoker. During the summer I indulge in cigar smoking mostly and on average 1 bowl every 2 days. Since I always smoke outside, come fall, no more cigars and I could say 1 bowl every 3 days. It also happens that I don't smoke for weeks. I'm still keeping in shape so I try to conciliate pipe smoking with my lifestyle, keeping it a pleasurable hobby and not a habit which takes over.

Status
Not open for further replies.