PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Many pipes don't need any break-in time. I have a Peterson that smoked sweet from the start and one that almost never tastes very good.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
My apologies for posting a question and not replying to any of the answers. The truth is I couldn't figure out how to navigate back to this area of the site and have spent many a frustrated evening trying to figure it out. Anyway, now that I'm here. I have about 20 odd pipes in total but I only smoke 5 of my peterson system pipes and two peterson army mount pipes on a regular basis. I reckon some of the system pipes I've probably gone through about 50 bowls. I'm smoking mellow virginia (don't know if it's available in the US) and I save my peterson deluxe mixture for either of my two churchwardens when I'm feeling adventurous. On a few occasions I have taken a draw out of one of my pipes and been greeted with a sublime sweet flavour only to lose it on the next draw. I feel like some sort of heroin addict chasing the next 'hit' of glorious flavour. What I am wondering is will this lovely flavour become more frequent over time as my pipes become more seasoned? As for cleaning/rotation, I normally smoke 4 to 5 bowls a day and use the same pipe for two days. I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and into the bowl as needed. After the two days I thoroughly clean the pipe with pipe cleaners and kitchen roll and I clean the stem with a pipe cleaner soaked in my favourite whiskey. Any thoughts on the flavour issue much welcomed.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
A little different take:
A pipe changes forever. If it sits in a shop, all lonely and unloved, it is getting older. A pipe you smoke will likely change most dramatically after the first few to couple dozen times. After a while the changes are so slow and subtle that you can't possibly notice.
like others here, some seem perfect from day one and some take 100's of smokes, and some never seem to get "there".
But, in any case, like you, they are always changing at least a little bit. For me, this is an especially important feature of our hobby!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Its mostly the coating in the bowl, try a cob or get a cheap briar and see if that makes a difference in what your expecting from a blend

Status
Not open for further replies.