How Long Does It Take You to Smoke Through a Tin?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I keep a pretty strict rotation of 10 blends. I like variety, but the open stock rotation was getting out of hand. At an avg of 2-3 bowls a day, I’m introducing a new tin from the cellar about every 10 days, which keeps it interesting, yet I’m spending enough time with each blend to get to know it pretty well. Been following this pattern for the past 2+ years and think I’ll stick with it ? - Stogie

Reactions: chopper

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
I saw some talk about hoarding, etc., and I largely ignored it, and then seeing people saying they buy loads of tins and then go back to purchase more (which I have no problem with), but it got me thinking:

How long does it take you to smoke through a tin?

One week? Two weeks? Do you dip in every once in a while and it takes you months? I think it took me a week or two to smoke through my first tins of Escudo and Carolina Red Flake (a sign that I liked the tobacco), but other than that I have several tins open at a time that I dip into here and there. I’m sure there have been similar threads in the past, but I’m just curious.
I wish that I could answer this question. I'm still in that honeymoon phase where I want to try everything on the planet so I'm constantly rotating through a selection of small jars. Though I have certainly found some tobaccos that I prefer above all others in a certain category, I still find myself driven to explore.

The funny thing is that I know some day, I'm going to have an extreme pendulum swing where when I sit down to smoke, I want a predictable quality experience and I'm going to be more likely to reach for a handful of favorites.

Reactions: Kal and danish

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Like most here I smoke multiple blends, often not the same thing twice.

However, a while ago I figured up that I use about 2.5 to 3 grams of tobacco per smoke and I smoke on average twice a day. That would mean I am going through one 50g tin about every week and a half. A 50g tin gives roughly 20 bowls.

So the short answer is that I go through about 1.5 to 2 tins worth of tobacco a month.

After calculating this, it really helped me to get an idea of how much of my favorite tobaccos I needed to last me as long as possible.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I smoke one or two bowls a week. I have found that a ten gram sampler gives me three bowls. Therefore a 50 gram gives 15 bowls.

So a tin lasts between 7.5 and 15 weeks!

Except when I'm on holiday when I smoke twice a day or more. And then I rarely smoke the same blend twice in a row. So have many, many jars .

As you can see it's quite complicated. I feel it's like a school problem!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Like most here I smoke multiple blends, often not the same thing twice.

However, a while ago I figured up that I use about 2.5 to 3 grams of tobacco per smoke and I smoke on average twice a day. That would mean I am going through one 50g tin about every week and a half. A 50g tin gives roughly 20 bowls.

So the short answer is that I go through about 1.5 to 2 tins worth of tobacco a month.

After calculating this, it really helped me to get an idea of how much of my favorite tobaccos I needed to last me as long as possible.
That's an important point I think.

Not that the price of tobacco will ever get as ludicrous in the U.S. as it is here in Nanny State Australia [where we're not even permitted to grow baccy for personal use] but prices are so cheap there's no time like the present to plan ahead within ones means because it will only go up in price.

Since tobacco keeps for decades when properly stored, one can view a stash big enough to last a pipe smoker his/her entire life as an investment.
Once one has more than enough then he/she no longer would need to spend another penny on tobacco [Apart from a new release here or there maybe]

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
About a week if smoking it every day. But usually it takes me a couple weeks to finish a tin as I sometimes take a short day or two break from smoking.

Mar 1, 2014
Forever. I get bored. I’ll smoke it for a few days, but then change it up. It gets jarred and I’ll eventually go back to it provided there’s nothing else shiny around ?
Glad I'm not the only one.

The cycle usually goes I'll sample a few tins, and six months later they're all drying out too much so they all get combined in a jar.
I have quite a few jars labelled "Macbaren Everything" because it's just a random assortment of tins from when I was exploring Macbaren blends. By now those should all be very well aged and quite pleasant compared to new tins.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Fortunately, I smoke similar sized bowls (Pete XL11, 05, 05S, 305, XL315); there are slight chamber variations, but it’s tenths of a gram, so negligible for my calculations.
I average 3g per bowl, and average 2-2.5 bowls per day. So a 50g tin will be gone in a week. *But there’s a caveat; some blends come packed quite wet, thus drying out will decrease the tin weight, and therefore cause an increase in tobacco used to fill the bowl.
Then there’s the additional caveat that I generally don’t smoke on vacation, nor in extreme temperatures, as I always smoke outdoors.

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
About a week on average. However I open up a tin every couple of days. I smoke about a quarter of each tin and jar the rest to com back to. I also smoke half bulk Luxury Navy Flake from the local B&M. 2 -3 ounces a week. I do however dump at least 20% as dottle. I like the second half best if it comes natural if I get to the end and it’s hard to keep going I quit.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
It definitely depends on the blend. I have a lot of stuff in jars from 2017 that I bought to try that I never finished. Not because I hated it, but it just didn't grab my attention.
I smoked through my first tin of Stonehenge in about a week and a half.