Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I can easily go for at least an hour, until the fire goes out and I need to reach for another one.

RockRash

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
California
When I first started years ago I had only one pipe. I was a cigarette smoker and I used a pipe to brake me of that habit. I smoked the heck out of that pipe for almost 2 years. I then tapered off smoking all together occasionally smoking a bowl now and then. Now that I have picked up the hobby again I've started collecting pipes but that old pipe is still in my rotation.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have several pipes but tend to smoke one pipe for a week and then another pipe the following week. I don’t rotate pipes, I smoke both aromatics and english blends out of all of my pipes (except 2) and I pull the stems out when the pipe is hot. Don’t follow the rules if you don’t want and you will be fine. As long as you clean and maintain your pipe, you should be good with one pipe for a while. However, when you go down the path of buying pipes, you may end up with too many!
There aren't any "rules" in pipe smoking. Different things work for different people. What some people think of as "rules" are more like "best practices" - things that have been found, over time, to work for a lot of pipe smokers. You don't have to do them, but many people have found that their enjoyment of the hobby is increased by following them. YMMV.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
On a cruise one pipe smoker used one pipe only, bought a new one every year and threw the previous one away.
I have a few like to choose what to smoke, long smoke or longer smoke.
Variety is good, most of my pipes are estate pipes.
Do I need more pipes, probably not.
More tobacco? Yes definitely.?

generalzod

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia
When I started pipesmoking, I didn't even have a pipe. I just held the tobacco in my hand and I liked it. You had to be tough, take the heat, no complaining... not like these pussies today who complain about their stems being too small, or their bowls too large, or their tobacco too heavy. You just set the tobacco on fire... in your hand, and you liked it. :puffy:

LOL

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
For years I smoked almost nothing else besides a large gourd calabash, which, despite their disadvantages, are damn-near unstopable pipes. You can smoke one 24/7 and it never needs resting. If I could only pick one pipe for life, a good gourd calabash wouldn't be a bad choice. Getting hard to find them though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think eight or ten pipes are probably all that are required for many years. Then the joy of shopping for them and accumulating them sets in, and all reason is gone.

Reactions: Dave4211

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Now that I'm retired I change pipes frequently (well, once a week anyway), but back when I was breeding horses and farming feed, pretty much I would go with one pipe until I broke it, lost it, or it fell in a pile of horse crap (or the manure heap). In that case, though, I would usually just wipe it off depending on how solid/runny the heap was. Sometimes this would be upwards of several months, sometimes only a couple of days.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the only pipe I've smoked for many years I've had since 94 or 95. I have four pipes only two even get used once a week. Take care of your pipe and let it dry at least enough the next smoke isn't gross and clean it some of the time to regularly (to taste basically). If you're happy with one pipe and don't abuse it then it very well may last a good long time without any other companions.

Status
Not open for further replies.