How Large is Your Pipe Collection in Proportion to How Much You Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
New Cigars
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have settled on 10 or so pipes that I really like and smoke regularly enough. I smoke on average about once a week, so about 50 bowls per year. That means that each pipe gets used on average 5 times per year.

How does your pipe collection relate to how much you smoke? How many runs does each pipe get in a year?

To me, there is no correlation between one and the other. I have way over 100 pipes, so many that I don't even care to count them. I do smoke a lot, but I am trying to cut down from 12 or so to just six bowls a day, maybe less. This however doesn't mean that I want less pipes. I will probably continue to collect them till I quit or die. I just love a new pipe.

daberman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
To me, there is no correlation between one and the other. I have way over 100 pipes, so many that I don't even care to count them. I do smoke a lot, but I am trying to cut down from 12 or so to just six bowls a day, maybe less. This however doesn't mean that I want less pipes. I will probably continue to collect them till I quit or die. I just love a new pipe.
ha, Im the total opposite! I have about 10 briar pipes but mainly just smoke cobs; I rotate all day through 5 of em. I cant stop collecting tobacco though!!! Had to pickup a few tins of rustica yesterday, and also had to buy a few other tobaccos to make the free shipping!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Proportionately, my number of pipes is huge. I have ninety some pipes, despite three or four cullings. I smoke a bowl a day, sometimes none, sometimes two, but usually one. My stash of tobacco is large for my smoking habit. This is attributable to a number of gift pipes, two from Forums members, and my own pleasure in moderately priced U.S. factory pipes and mid-price pipes in standard brands, and to my buying just enough tobacco in small amounts so it accumulates. I find the disproportion a little annoying when I sit back and look at it, but the pleasure outweighs the annoyance.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I have five pipes, all cobs, all in rotation. And I smoke about 2 bowls a day lately. I've been smoking pipes about three years now (though I was smoking a little clay with straight rustica a long time before that). I have been focusing on finding the tobaccos I like best, not so much the pipes. They were just the way of exploring. But now I'm finally figuring out that I seem to be a straight burley person, so I'm beginning to pay more attention to the pipes, so I can see the number of pipes going up soon, and the number of smokes per pipe going down--at least until I start figuring out which pipes I like best.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Diction Dick: By the olden times standards of word choice, there is different usage of fewer and less. Things that can be counted -- people, pipes, and so on -- when there is a lesser number are said to be fewer. If something is more abstract like enthusiasm, liquids that aren't being measured, and such, you say less. There is less water in the lake. There are fewer boats on the lake. All that being said, broadcasters making ten million a year say it "wrong," so I guess I can too. But I thought I'd mention this quaint old rule of word choice.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
50+ ? I gave up counting them when I had 30. Do I need that many? Nope but I like collecting them.

I don't have a regular or timetabled rotation, I just pick a pipe I feel like smoking. Most days I typically smoke 4 or 5 times a day... ...but... ...I do often smoke the same pipe twice as do all my smoking outdoors and don't want to carry more than a couple of pipes with me.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Diction Dick: By the olden times standards of word choice, there is different usage of fewer and less. Things that can be counted -- people, pipes, and so on -- when there is a lesser number are said to be fewer. If something is more abstract like enthusiasm, liquids that aren't being measured, and such, you say less. There is less water in the lake. There are fewer boats on the lake. All that being said, broadcasters making ten million a year say it "wrong," so I guess I can too. But I thought I'd mention this quaint old rule of word choice.
Supermarkets in England used to have 20 items or less lanes for fast checkout. After much ridicule most now have 20 items or fewer lanes.

I know I often make grammatical errors but I do appreciate it when people point it out (well, providing they are polite and not rolling around on the floor in fits of laughter whilst calling me blithering idiot - a technique much favoured by my late step mother).