PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like most members, I puzzle over the stamping on my pipes. Some artisans just etch their stamp with an awl, but most larger volume carvers and factories use some kind or kinds of stamping devices. Could those who do this, or have learned about it, go into how the stamping devices work? I visualize them either grinding in the lettering with a moving bit or punching it in with percussive force. I could even visualize some kind of wood burning process, but I haven't seen anything like that. It would be informative to know what I am seeing when I read the stamps. Some are only partial with the brand name or otherwise faint or hard to read. What's going wrong? And why are some so clear, like Ser Jacopo and Luciano? I'm always wondering, but have never asked.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
From what I’ve seen on videos, it’s just a stamp that is rolled against the wood with force. When I use a touchmark stamp on steel, I have the luxury of stamping a flat surface. I imagine it takes a bit of skill to stamp a curved shank without buggering it up.

Reactions: dmcmtk

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Like most members, I puzzle over the stamping on my pipes. Some artisans just etch their stamp with an awl, but most larger volume carvers and factories use some kind or kinds of stamping devices. Could those who do this, or have learned about it, go into how the stamping devices work? I visualize them either grinding in the lettering with a moving bit or punching it in with percussive force. I could even visualize some kind of wood burning process, but I haven't seen anything like that. It would be informative to know what I am seeing when I read the stamps. Some are only partial with the brand name or otherwise faint or hard to read. What's going wrong? And why are some so clear, like Ser Jacopo and Luciano? I'm always wondering, but have never asked.
it's a natural part of the briar. It's how they know which companies to send it too. ;). Seriously though I've wondered about this many times too.

• Haha
Reactions: Casual

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', thanks for the video. So it really is stamped in with pressure. I thought that might tend to split the wood, but it is not striking the briar but just pressing the stamp into it. It is surprising the depth some of the lettering has, as if embossed or engraved. I may watch it again to visualize a little better what the mechanics of it are. Pretty neat device. The craftsman there mentioned he has wrapped his knuckles doing this by hand.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I have one inexpensive Chinese-made churchwarden on which the stamp appears to have actually been cut by a 3D router rig, including on one side of the shank the month and year the pipe was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.