How Important is a Pipe Maker's History to You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Generally speaking I run my life with strict adherance to reason and logic (however flawed that may be).
But when it comes to pipes, I am a romantic at heart. I have a thing for pipe manufacturers that have a bit of history to them. It's why I own several Peterson pipes - I guess I like the idea that people have been smoking Petes for well over a hundred years. And the fact that Peterson is Irish company (seeing how my Grandfather smoked a pipe and was from Ireland).
I guess it's also why I haven't bought an artisan pipe yet (though if I had the means, I would!)

Jul 15, 2011
The history and the price are the two reasons I like Grabows so much. Still manufactured in America, still giving jobs to Americans, and people have been smoking them, as they have Petersons, for a long damn time. I guess for me, history isn't really important when choosing a pipe, but I like all things historical and it's sometimes cool to see pipes that have stood the test of time and that have a story behind them, though I very rarely seek them out. I also collect old safety razors, and again, it's cool to snag a razor on the bay that someone's grandfather shaved with and that was passed down through the generations.

I was having a conversation last night with a friend about this. I think that part of what we're buying is the story, whether it's a factory or artisan pipe. Sure the "object" is important too, but probably what has kept Peterson above water during these QC issues of late has been the story you get with the thing.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I love a good back story and history. That said I cannot help loving artisan pipes. I'd rather own one of those instead of a $600 Dunhill.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I love history of all sorts. I find the history behind different brands of pipes and their makers very interesting. However, it makes little difference to me as to how I think they smoke. Since joining this site, I have learned more about pipes and tobacco in the last 7 months, than I've learned in the last 30 years. I hope to learn more about pipes etc. as the years go on, as I'm really enjoying the trip! :puffy:

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I don't know if I would let the lack of history discourage me from buying a pipe that I like. However, a pipe with a rich history, have it be the brand or the pipe it's self, will be more cherished and appreciated in my collection.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I agree with Pipe Novelist on this, there's just something about Dr. Grabows and Missouri Meerschaum that I love, maybe its the Patriot bleeding out of me. 'MURICA :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sure, the backstory of Mogen Johansen of Johs, Dr. Grabow pipes of Sparta N.C., MM cobs of Washington Mo. near

St. Louis, Old Dominion cobs, and so forth, are part of the history and folklore of pipes. Eric Nording, the whole

Cornell & Diehl story, Dunhill/Parker/Hardcastle etc., and most other pipe makers and tobacco blenders, and

retailers like Iwan Ries. My "own" favorite N.C. carver who lives in Colfax N.C. and barely has an online presence

except for pipe repair. My local independent pipe shop proprietor, etc. etc. What stories to tell.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
As much as I like to keep an open mind, I really only like classic style pipes, and long-lived companies like Dunhill and Peterson make those shapes and have in many cases defined those shapes. So I stick with the classics, and only the big name classics. I think artisan pipes are works of art, absolutely beautiful, and probably smoke better than some of the classics, but I just don't want one. Probably because my pipe-smoking Grandfathers, rest their souls, would look at me funny if they saw me smoking one. There is something about the classics.
Same with guitars. Give me classic '30s and '40s styled Gibsons and Martins. Of course there are dozens of artisan guitar makers that likely make better instruments than Martin and Gibson, and I have played some and they are fantastic players, but ... I'll stick with the classics.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
OK, so how many of you own a pipe made by Fred Diebel? He was crafting pipes back in Kansas City in the mid 50s and on. The sign above his shop in the Country Club Plaza (then, as now, Kansas City's upscale shopping area,) read: "Fred Diebel: Pipemaker, Tobacconist." When I was a young undergraduate I sought him out so that he could teach me the art of Pipesmoking, and much of what I know, I learned from him. I bought quite a few pipes from him. When I was on River Patrol in the Mekong Delta, Fred made sure that I had a steady supply of tobacco, along with the occasional pipe. His catalogs were works of art.He owned a couple of caves just south of town where the temperature and humidity were constant, and it was there that he and the legendary Carl Ehwa blended and packaged their tobaccos.
And yes, he was mentor to Mike and Mary McNeil.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
A few thoughts...
If you were a true "romantic" you'd love Italian pipes (and that's everything I remember from Art Appreciation 101).
Would it burst your bubble to know that Petersons are now being predominantly made in Spain and only end-finished in Ireland? Sorry.
I like your reasoning, Novelist and Homeguard, regarding the rich history of Dr. Grabow and Mo. Meerschaum. Unfortunately I just don't like their pipes. I wish I did.
Voorhees, I'm with you 100%. I don't enjoy Scott Thile's pipes just because he's a cool guy; he truly makes a great pipe. But he is a pretty cool guy.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If you were a true "romantic" you'd love Italian pipes (and that's everything I remember from Art Appreciation 101).
Would it burst your bubble to know that Petersons are now being predominantly made in Spain and only end-finished in Ireland? Sorry.
I love the art and history of Italy - but the aspect of "romance" isn't under the control of one country.
And as for the manufacture of the pipes in Spain - this is where the romance of an idea is exempt from logic (which I completely admit to). Since Peterson is still based in Dublin and the pipes come from there - I can live with the idea that they are partially made in Spain (tho that "fact" is still anecdotal for me as I've yet to see that ever admitted to by Peterson - not saying it's not true, just that I am still unsure).
However, I will admit, there are limits to my romantic notions. If Peterson was a defunct company and some company in Chicago purchased the name and rights and then shipped them from somewhere in Italy or Romania under the name "Peterson", that would break the mystique for me.
The beauty of romantic thinking is that it's mostly devoid of logic and (sometimes) that's okay. :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Six,
My "Art Appreciation 101" reference was about the root of "romance" (and "romantic" and "romanticism") being "roman". According to my former professor, "romantic" literally means "of Rome".
I know exactly what you mean about the point where Petersons lose their allure, though.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What an excellent question! I enjoy history in general and the history of pipes is one of my particular interests. But beside the "romantic" aspect, there's a practical value to knowing the history of a maker. All makes go through cycles of quality. Just because a pipe has a particular stamp on it, doesn't guarantee that that pipe is an exemplar of the brand. It's especially useful when buying in the estate market since there is such a wealth of misinformation and false claims.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Italians are good at crafting many things but shotguns and pipes are tops with me. I enjoy old London wood and always wonder about who the original purchaser may have been, what they did while enjoying what is now my pipe. As for MM Cobs, big fan of the company and the history.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My "Art Appreciation 101" reference was about the root of "romance" (and "romantic" and "romanticism") being "roman". According to my former professor, "romantic" literally means "of Rome".
I gotcha, fair enough!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with you Six. The history of British makers is pretty important to me, down to knowing the era when they were made. I do get more enjoyment out of owning an older pipe with some history, vs a new artisan pipe.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The history and the price are the two reasons I like Grabows so much.
I hear you on that - they have a rich history.
Fred Diebel ... When I was on River Patrol in the Mekong Delta, Fred made sure that I had a steady supply of tobacco, along with the occasional pipe.
Thanks for sharing Eric, sounds like an amazing man!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
History has always had a special place for me throughout my life. I also like old things which is about the only thing house decor related my girlfriend and I can agree on. It also makes sense when it comes to pipe smoking that one would most likely be a person who appreciates history more so than say the average person.
I guess that was a natural development for myself. I have old tobacco tins, old beer bottles/cans, a cigar press, cigar molds, wagon wheels, horse shoes, a wall of old sports photos, a single action revolver. I bought my girlfriend an antique vanity that has to be almost 100 years old.
I love the age that some of my pipes have despite the fact that the stories they could tell are probably nothing all that interesting.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I am a fan of history and that is one of the reasons I gravitated toward the early Kaywoodies. I love the history of the company. I love the fact that at one time in there career they rivaled Dunhill in quality. I love the fact that my pre-36 Kaywoodies were made with 100 year old briar and they came in so many different shapes , finishes and sizes that I will never run out of different pipes to look at and search for! Great thread Six thanks for sharing. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.