Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

H

Hfinn

I was looking for a vintage tobacco can and I came across one in an antique shop.

IMG_8001.jpg
IMG_7999.jpg
IMG_7997.jpg
IMG_8002.jpg

The description of the lot stated: Western Europe, first half of the 20th century. Tin, engraving. And additional information: A tin box, a can, a tube, practically has no competition in the segment of the original packaging for expensive tobacco products. This box will give your gift harmony with almost any of its contents, making it attractive in the eyes of the donee.

So, I ordered it for myself, it was delivered to me. Inspecting a new purchase, I noticed the inscription "Schrafft's Boston Mass, One Pound Net Weight" on the bottom of the can. Before reaching the laptop, I already felt some kind of discomfort, well you understand ?

Googling this inscription revealed that "Schrafft's" is a chain of restaurants in New York and chocolate factory, that has been operating in US since 1928.

Entering "Schraffts tin" into a search engine, Ebay gives out about a dozen of exactly the same candy jars, the cost of which varies from USD 10 to 40.

In short, I was a little fooled. Expectations and reality didn't quite match up, and the price tag is quite high for a candy box. The item itself is very beautiful, and it could be used for tobacco, but I'm thinking of returning it back on principle, because description was not match reality.

H

Hfinn

Unless you plan to use it what would be the justification for keeping it? Based upon the weight, doesn't sound like it would be very useful for carrying tobacco around.
The size is right for me. Its value turned out to be significantly higher than its market/fair value, I paid $95. I will have the opportunity to purchase this jar at auction.

H

Hfinn

Could you please elaborate on this last statement?

Did you get it online or in a store?
Sure. I ordered it in the course of correspondence with a representative of the store in the WhatsApp application. They do not have billing on the site, you can only go pick it up yourself or order delivery.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It reminds me of how many mislabeled things there are with antiques. How many things are snuff this or that and they just aren't. Boxes too big or too small. Boxes that aren't airtightish. Sometimes it works out great though you'll get something mislabeled for a good discount. The thing is these things don't have a clear cut value. They have some pretty solid guidelines. One little darn it miss I found was a really rare stone ware snuff bottle like the kind used in Germany and parts of eastern europe for heavier grained snuffs like schmalzaler. It was one dollar which I didn't have till the next week (going to school at the time), but it was for an American tobacco company that I have never heard of it. Even if not valuable it was worth more then 1 dollar and super interesting. I wonder to this day if the person who bought it had any idea what it actually was.
same style as this different image on it.

Reactions: Hfinn
H

Hfinn

It reminds me of how many mislabeled things there are with antiques. How many things are snuff this or that and they just aren't. Boxes too big or too small. Boxes that aren't airtightish. Sometimes it works out great though you'll get something mislabeled for a good discount. The thing is these things don't have a clear cut value. They have some pretty solid guidelines. One little darn it miss I found was a really rare stone ware snuff bottle like the kind used in Germany and parts of eastern europe for heavier grained snuffs like schmalzaler. It was one dollar which I didn't have till the next week (going to school at the time), but it was for an American tobacco company that I have never heard of it. Even if not valuable it was worth more then 1 dollar and super interesting. I wonder to this day if the person who bought it had any idea what it actually was.
same style as this different image on it.
There is truth in your words. They said they had several of these cans, one of which smelled of tobacco. For this reason, it occurred to them to make such a marking and description for the item.

Reactions: anotherbob