PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

molst

Lurker
Sep 8, 2021
Sweden
Hi all,

I just thought it might be time to summarize what I need to do to really enjoy a pipe to the fullest. As you might have seen in my other posts I've learnt some important things the last couple of years that made my last months of smoking at least twice as enjoyable as the 13 years before that.

Of course, there are many of ways to do this, and this is not THE right way. It is just the way that works for me.

So, lets get to it!

1. To avoid bitter guck and the worst forms of gurgling, clean the pipe regularly. I do it after every smoking session. Change filter at least every other time, if you use them.

2. Check the moisture of the tobacco. There need to be moist left, but too much of it will dampen aromas and cook your tounge. Take some out, rub if flaked, and let it dry a few minutes if too moist.

3. Fill the pipe with tobacco and press a little. Repeat until the bowl is almost filled and there is a firm resistance when you push it. Don't leave it loosely packed (some will disagree here). Test draw. There should be resistance but still be easy to draw air through it.

4. Light it and draw strongly. Tap to even out the surface with the tamp tool. If you don't want to relight often, repeat 4 times the first 2 minutes so you get an even top layer of fine ash.

5. Use the breath method and puff just lightly on occasion to ensure you build a steady glow. See

6. After about 3 minutes I tamp and light the last time, without drawing hard, because I want a flat and even ash surface.

7. Now I can smoke, using the breath method and some occasional light sipping for over an hour without relighting, if I want. But around mid bowl I like to rid the top ash, tamp, and maybe relight.

I hope this will help some to not have to wait 14 years to get the perfect smoke. ?

Happy puffing!

Last edited:

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Good write-up. I don’t think too much about it as it has become muscle memory, but I find that tamping is important to minimize relights?

Reactions: JOHN72

molst

Lurker
Sep 8, 2021
Sweden
Good write-up. I don’t think too much about it as it has become muscle memory, but I find that tamping is important to minimize relights?
Thanks, I forgot to mention that I typically tamp 2-3 times during the first half of the bowl and maybe once second half.