PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I'm not too impressed when there's only ash left because I know I also smoked a dottle. Fortunately the taste tells almost every smoke when it's past the limit of tasty and that's when I dump what's left.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I think the pipe makes a difference sometimes. I can smoke pretty much anything down to ash in my meer or in most of my cobs, without any real effort. Oftentimes I don’t know the bowl is done until I get ash through the stem. I think it might have to do with how the juncture of the chamber and airway is situated. I could be wrong though.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Like others have said: when the amount of work exceeds the amount of enjoyment, it's time to stop. Additionally, I'm mindful of avoiding charing the draft hole.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Packing loosely, tamping gently and drying the tobacco helps reducing the so called dottle. That said, I usually dump what remains in a bowl at the point when I hear boiling sounds of the condensate at the end of a smoke. I'm not into rare blends so I have nothing to regret when a smoke comes to its end...
ah yes, the boiling - that was there the other night - I continued onward

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I guess I’m not a very “wet” smoker. I rarely get enough condensation to cause a gurgle in the stem, much less make boiling noises at the bottom of the chamber. ?

Reactions: seanv

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I find that when it comes to rarer harder to come by blends I tend to smoke down to the bottom of the bowl - which is typically less enjoyable - it's almost the antithesis of the initial intention - ever happen to anyone? how far down the bowl is too far and deemed 'dump'? :coffee:
I don't really think about it. If light goes out, I'll look into chamber to see if I should smoke further. If it's near the bottom, I'll stop. Sometimes, things just go right and the bowl will end at the bottom of the chamber.

But, I do enjoy the tobacco more towards the bottom. It just taste "right." Not all blends are enjoyable near the bottom, but I'm finding most are.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I mostly smoke Virginia blends and they seem to get better and better during the bowl. I smile most to fine ash to the bottom without much effort. If a bowl isn’t getting better and is becoming difficult, I stop and empty it

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
I dump near the bottom when relights become too frequent. Although tonight I had the last bit of FMC I may ever get, and I relit that mofo ‘till there was nothing but vapor left.