How Effective Is The Reverse Calabash Design?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I see reverse calabash pipes from time to time and have always wondered how much of an improvement they make to the 'dryness' of the smoke. Is it 10%, 50%, 100%?

And how would they compare to normal calabash pipes?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this based on their experience?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I see reverse calabash pipes from time to time and have always wondered how much of an improvement they make to the 'dryness' of the smoke. Is it 10%, 50%, 100%?

And how would they compare to normal calabash pipes?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this based on their experience?
You're technique will improve dryness of the smoke more than a pipe will regardless of the design.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was a cretin when I smoked:
1. bowl geometry - I don't think so
2. microwaving tobacco -barbaric
3. flushing with water - pipe cleaners haven't failed yet
4. reverse calabash - the most remarkable thing was the failure of the Radice tenon. Reduced moisture -maybe.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I was very enthusiastic about them at first but it sort of wore off and now i don't think it makes much of a difference. It is not a gimmick and not a miracle, in the same way that a Canadian or a lumberman does not actually smoke cooler than a short pipe. I also found them a bit more difficult to keep fully clean. I still have a couple and traded others away.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Thanks for your responses. Sounds like what I already suspected, that the reverse calabash may improve the smoke but not by much.

I may still pick one up at some point if the pipe shape itself looks attractive to me. I was looking at a Chacom apple shape that looked quite attractive regardless of the reverse calabash feature.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for your responses. Sounds like what I already suspected, that the reverse calabash may improve the smoke but not by much.

I may still pick one up at some point if the pipe shape itself looks attractive to me. I was looking at a Chacom apple shape that looked quite attractive regardless of the reverse calabash feature.
I really don't notice any difference with these but I really like the design.

20180224_002736.jpg