PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Johnny_Pipecleaner. On a serious note what is a Jose Rubio pipe and why are they special? Those of us, myself included who have not moved beyond the late 19th century are always amazed at the prices theses new pipes command. Can you fill me a bit here please.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
@Johnny_Pipecleaner. On a serious note what is a Jose Rubio pipe and why are they special? Those of us, myself included who have not moved beyond the late 19th century are always amazed at the prices theses new pipes command. Can you fill me a bit here please.

Luxury pipes come with luxury price tags. In the case of Jose Rubio, his blast process alone takes 10-12 hours per pipe.
Does anyone need such a pipe? Of course not. This is a dead horse that has been beaten enough around here. If you have the dough and the desire, you might choose a luxury pipe. Otherwise there are perfectly good pipes at far lower price points.
But you’re a veteran and you know all of this already ?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually this is the first time I had ever heard of him. I am knowledgable in a very limited sphere regarding 19th century 'cutty' pipes and certain unpleasant tobacco's. I don't do luxury pipes as you well know but I do appreciate people who make classical pipe shapes. Not that I would buy one but I am curious how much they go for especially if a man of your broad tastes is interested.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Actually this is the first time I had ever heard of him. I am knowledgable in a very limited sphere regarding 19th century 'cutty' pipes and certain unpleasant tobacco's. I don't do luxury pipes as you well know but I do appreciate people who make classical pipe shapes. Not that I would buy one but I am curious how much they go for especially if a man of your broad tastes is interested.

I smoke just 1-2 bowls per day. That being the case I can get by with a small stable of 5-10 pipes. And since I don’t spend a ton on tobacco, I can (sorta) afford a few nice pipes. Some guys have 25+ reasonable pipes. I can buy a handful of luxury pipes using the same budget. It just happens to be my situation.

Personally I get kicks out of holding and owning and smoking the fancy pipes. Much to the dismay of my bank account.