How does L.J. Peretti sell Aromatic Tobacco in Light of MA Law?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I was under the impression that MA banned the sale of aromatic tobacco, except in the case of aromatic tobacco consumed on-site at certain cigar and hookah lounges? Yet, I see that L.J. Peretti, in Boston, sells aromatic tobacco. Do I misunderstand the law?

Also, just out of curiosity, are MA residents banned from possessing aromatic tobacco? As in, if a MA resident drove out of state, bought aromatic tobacco, and then brought it home, would he be in violation?

I'm not much of a LAW AND ORDER guy. I say, take my pipe when you pry it out of my cold dead clench. Haha.

All we have heard is interpretations of these laws on here by guys like us that have no clue. Maybe someone is debating the interpretation of "aromatic" in court right now. Or, maybe the news twisted the law in the way it was announced, or maybe LJ Peretti just don't give a crap about a buncha laws.

Have you seen any cars on the side of the road being searched for Captain Black?

Sorry, I hope you didn't read all of this as being overly smartassy. I just don't think anyone here will have an iron clad answer for this.

Naw......... nnnn

SBC, take one for the team. Call or email them directly and ask, and then share with us!

View attachment 177047
"Overly" was the keyword. In person people can see my bright eyed smile and jovial ways, but I realize that online, to folks who may not know me, might read me wrong... or "overly" wrong, h aha. puffy

Give them a call and ask
They would be the only ones that would have the correct answer. Although... they may just tell you whatever, thinking that you might be the law trying to entrap them for a bust. Never know... companies do tend to say some weird things about why they do what they do. But... no one here could answer this for them.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
SBC, take one for the team. Call or email them directly and ask, and then share with us!
Just called -- the guy said that (a) those bans don't apply to them due to special licensing they worked out with the state, and (b) there is no ban on possessing aromatic tobacco in MA, only on selling it (unless you have the licensing they have).

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I just placed my order with WCC and I noticed that they have a notice about Massachusetts excise taxes but nothing about the ban on flavored tobaccos. I wonder if there is a special agreement with the tobacco shops that pipe tobacco is exempted, whereas vapes and machine made cigars are regulated.

TheVision

Lurker
Nov 30, 2019
I just placed my order with WCC and I noticed that they have a notice about Massachusetts excise taxes but nothing about the ban on flavored tobaccos.

It's at the bottom of every page:

"All flavored tobacco and cigars are now banned in Massachusetts. That includes all flavored cigars, Pipe Tobacco, and Hookah Tobacco etc. Any orders containing Flavored Tobacco will have those products removed and refunded. Again, please direct all complaints to Governor Charlie Baker's administration. Thank you for your understanding."

They have a FAQ for Massachusetts, too:

"FLAVORED TOBACCO BAN

FLAVORED TOBACCO IS ILLEGAL TO SHIP TO OR SELL IN THE STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS. AS OF JUNE 1ST, 2020, NO FLAVORED CIGARS OR TOBACCO CAN BE SHIPPED TO A MASSACHUSETTS ADDRESS OR SOLD AT OUR BRICK AND MORTAR STORE.
This goes for online "Pick up in Store" orders as well. (Seriously. We used to wonder why our regulations and rules are so stringent in this state. Now we know...it's because you people are all dullards.) Clearly stated in GLARING RED on each applicable product page it states "CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO A MASSACHUSETTS ADDRESS" yet without fail 4+ times per week you folks order a flavored product(s) on-line for store pickup as if "Store Pickup" is some magical term for "The laws aren't applicable to me". They are. If you order 500 bucks worth of flavored tobacco from us for "In Store Pickup"? We're not even gonna call you anymore. We're gonna let you schlep you're butt to the shop, then we're gonna watch you tear up because you aren't getting squat. We will refund your credit card online...and it will take a few days to go through and that will add to the misery you brought upon yourself for not paying attention. Have a nice day!"

Reactions: ThermionicScott

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
It's at the bottom of every page:

"All flavored tobacco and cigars are now banned in Massachusetts. That includes all flavored cigars, Pipe Tobacco, and Hookah Tobacco etc. Any orders containing Flavored Tobacco will have those products removed and refunded. Again, please direct all complaints to Governor Charlie Baker's administration. Thank you for your understanding."

They have a FAQ for Massachusetts, too:

"FLAVORED TOBACCO BAN

FLAVORED TOBACCO IS ILLEGAL TO SHIP TO OR SELL IN THE STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS. AS OF JUNE 1ST, 2020, NO FLAVORED CIGARS OR TOBACCO CAN BE SHIPPED TO A MASSACHUSETTS ADDRESS OR SOLD AT OUR BRICK AND MORTAR STORE.
This goes for online "Pick up in Store" orders as well. (Seriously. We used to wonder why our regulations and rules are so stringent in this state. Now we know...it's because you people are all dullards.) Clearly stated in GLARING RED on each applicable product page it states "CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO A MASSACHUSETTS ADDRESS" yet without fail 4+ times per week you folks order a flavored product(s) on-line for store pickup as if "Store Pickup" is some magical term for "The laws aren't applicable to me". They are. If you order 500 bucks worth of flavored tobacco from us for "In Store Pickup"? We're not even gonna call you anymore. We're gonna let you schlep you're butt to the shop, then we're gonna watch you tear up because you aren't getting squat. We will refund your credit card online...and it will take a few days to go through and that will add to the misery you brought upon yourself for not paying attention. Have a nice day!"
I don't think I ever had so much fun reading a FAQ page. "We're not rude. We're Boston Nice!" :ROFLMAO:

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
I’m new and showing my ignorance but what’s their “reason” for banning flavored tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.