How Does A Humidor Maintain A Precise Humidity?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Once you get the inside of your box to the humidity you desire, how is that exact humidity maintained? I'm just curious as to how it works

Reactions: JOHN72

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Propylene glycol will absorb water from the atmosphere (inside of the humidor) when RH exceeds 70% and will give off water when the RH drops below that point. It's kind of miraculous, but works great and will mediate humidity for a long time in a well-sealed humidor (cooler-dor).

Reactions: instymp and jpmcwjr

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Once you get the inside of your box to the humidity you desire, how is that exact humidity maintained? I'm just curious as to how it works
Moisture saturates the pore spaces in the wood, causing it to swell, causing a tight seal (though not airtight). From there, you'll want some sort of humidification device, whether passive (beads, boveda bags) or active (electronic hygrometer connected to a fan & moisture bank). This adds moisture to the system if humidity drops and the passive systems are capable of also adsorbing excess moisture if the humidity spikes.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The wood and your cigars are responsible for most of the buffering of humidity. Makes no sense to calibrate the humidity without wood and/or cigars inside.

Reactions: BROBS

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Some cigars to smoke, even in the bathroom. a week later.......... Perfect to smoking. Tender like stew beans.............?ThUkrRG.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The cigars in the box, and the wood are like a moisture "flywheel". Once you open the lid of the box, the ambient humidity inside pretty much changes to whatever the humidity in the room is. Leaving the cellophane on will mediate the change somewhat. I cut off the cellophane at the foot of the cigar to allow the moisture to better penetrate the cigar.

Unless you have an active humidification system, fluctuations in the humidity are a given. Not leaving the lid open too long will help.

You're not going to be able to maintain "perfect" humidity all the time over a period of time, but keeping the cigars from drying out too much is the goal.

In desktop humidors I like to use Xikar Gel humidfiers.

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't realize there was an active process going on. Just thought a humidor was a passive sort of jarring. Good question, interesting explanations.

Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Propylene glycol will absorb water from the atmosphere (inside of the humidor) when RH exceeds 70% and will give off water when the RH drops below that point. It's kind of miraculous, but works great and will mediate humidity for a long time in a well-sealed humidor (cooler-dor).
Yup, used in a lot of medications also.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.