PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heypat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2020
Shelby township Michigan, 48315
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

New guy here, glad to be a part of the site!

I moved from cigars to a pipe about 9 months ago and haven’t looked back.

I started buying and refurbishing estate pipes about 6 months ago and have around 60 estates with vulcanite stems. I have spent a lot of time de oxidizing, sanding and polishing the vulcanite stems. Although I do Enjoy refurbishing pipes, I do not want the vulcanite stems to oxidize again. I clean after smoking and use obsidian oil but am looking for a storage solution that keeps the pipes out of natural light.

i have a couple of old school desktop pipe stands I use for my pipes with acrylic stems but am looking for a solution to keep the vulcanite stems out of the light.

how does everyone store their pipes with vulcanite stems?

I currently store them in cigar boxes but would like a Larger permanent solution.

thanks for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
On a shelf in the utility room. No sunlight. Seldom lighted anyway. Some in bowls, some in racks, some resting on towels or cloth.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Great question! I too am continuously interested in how people decide to store their pipes. I have worked a couple of stems back from oxidized oblivion and want to keep them as lustrous as they now are. I keep all my pipes in their pipe socks and then store them underneath the hood of my "open tobaccos" chest.

IMG_1765.JPG

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I hang my cobs on a loop hook from a pegboard. The briars are in a couple of sturdy vintage cardboard boxes from a bank, with some small bubble wrap on the bottom. I'm not sure what the bank used them for. Maybe checks or file cards, but they are perfect size, 9"x9"x4". I don't want the briars on the loop hooks because the metal may scratch the bowl.

Reactions: BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable, fitted pipe cases? Would you be willing to share some more info one this? Are they custom made?
They’re cases with internal fittings to hold anywhere from 15 to 21 pipes per case. A few years back I bought a half dozen of them on eBay. I’m pretty sure that they were made in China, they were cheap, made cheap, and do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.