PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
20¢ apiece at Iwan Ries. No vacuum needed, they have ziplock style sealers. I've had flake tobaccos in them preserve well for years.
foil_tob.png
2 oz. size.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Those mylar bags look awesome for cellaring, but aren't they a bit pricey?
Start breaking up lb's of tobacco in pint and 1/2 pint jars i'snt exactly cheap. Luckily for me my wife is the big boss lady at a bix box hobby store, yay for employee discount. For a long time they thought she was some canning guru till they asked her a canning question.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally have at least 20 tins of flake open at the same time so jars for me would be a pain in the butt. I take all of my open tins and store them in plastic tupperware like containers so the tobacco stays in their original tins. Here is a pic of the type of containers I use. I bought them at Walmart and they come 4 to a set of different sizes, costs about 6 bucks for the set of 4. The opaque ones with the white lids are the ones I am talking about.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Harris- I'm curious how fast you smoke through each tin- in other words, how long to your Tupperware tubs keep the baccy fresh and moist? I mason jar everything, but I only smoke a few bowls a week so even my open tins can stay open for a loooooooong time.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I also mason jar every thing once opened, ball has such a wide variety of jars, but ilike cigrmasters idea a lot. if he recommends putting all open tins in Tupperware then it must work. would also take up a lot less space. if anyone would know he would.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I'm another one who puts everything I open in mason jars. I leave the flakes whole and put them in the jar immediately without drying. When I want to smoke a flake, I'll take out what I need and do any needed drying then. When I first started smoking I didn't jar my tobaccos. I put down the pipe for a couple of years and when I came back I had several open tins that were dried out. I re-hydrated them, and they were still smoke-able, but the flavors had faded quiet a bit from the oils drying out. Now I just mason jar everything so if I don't get back to it for a while I don't need to worry about it.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Ditto, Peck!
Mranglophile,you can buy the best of them in bulk for a great deal cheaper than Ball jars, and they weight about what an empty paper pouch does. :D
You can heat seal them with a household iron.
Military is currently using them for packaging MREs (Meals Ready to Eat).

Reactions: ChippewaAce

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Depends on the amount. Wife does jams and marmalades, so we have lots of Ball and Kerr jars about.
The video. Mesmerizing! How does he keep a straight face for so long??

Status
Not open for further replies.