How Do You Paint a Missouri Meerschaum Pipe?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
6 Fresh Ardor Pipes
30 Fresh Butz-Choquin Pipes
24 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

Tobacco Treasures Ad

Recent Posts

Tobacco Treasures Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

seitz55

Sep 6, 2013
I would like to paint my Missouri Meerschaum and I have no idea on how to do that. Any ideas on how I should prep the pipe and what paint I should use will be a big help.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
...Only with great reluctance; I prize the natural or natural looking cob.

seitz55

Sep 6, 2013
I believe it is an unfinished Missouri meerschaum corn cob pipe. I posted a picture, what do you think. Paddypiper, I would like to have one of my favorite LOTRs quote put on my pipe. "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." I see painted corn cob pipes being posted once in a while on Facebook.

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
Okay, that looks like a finished one. I would lightly go over it with fine sandpaper to give the paint something to grip to, and then dry brush with acrylic paint. When dry, buff to a shine with a paper towel.

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
"How do I paint a Missouri Meerschaum pipe?"
Well now, I think I'd do it on velvet. I suspect most corn cob smokers would like to put the painting next to their "velvet Elvis" or "Dawgs Playing Poker" art. I'd use soft "north light" and I think execute it using oils.
That's how I'd paint a Missouri Meerschaum pipe! :mrgreen:

jonasclark

Preferred Member
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Hirschl & Bendheim produced, I believe in the early 1970s, a line of "Color Cobs," which had the bowl and shank entirely painted, presumably to go with Dr. Grabow and The Pipe which had fashion-oriented models. I've seen Color Cobs in bright red, blue, green, etc., in some pastels like pink, and in early-70s colors like olive green. I've no idea how, exactly, they were painted, but they were (and they were cobs, not wood pipes).

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member
Oct 17, 2013
Believe it or not....... A plain sharpie works great on cobs. Colour it, let it sit for a few hours and voila!! No aftersmell, no rub off, and looks great. I've done a few danes and a couple of legends this way.

piffyr

Preferred Member
Apr 24, 2015
Hirschl & Bendheim produced, I believe in the early 1970s, a line of "Color Cobs," which had the bowl and shank entirely painted"
Missouri Meerschaum did the same thing in the 60s/70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.