How do you guys shine up old estate pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I was wondering what you guys use to buff old estate pipes? I have heard of buffing wheels and buffing cloths but what works best on the cheap? I can't really afford a buffing wheel right now.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My favorite is the buffing wheels. A little inspired scrounging can get you set up pretty cheaply.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A soft flannel, like from an old flannel shirt works really well for final buffing.

I should think you'd have to hold it like you would for shining shoes, so you can obtain higher speeds and snap it for kicks.
I use carnauba wax and dremel wheels for the hard part, but I always go over the pipe one final time with flannel.

Makes the finish real glossy (for a few days.)

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
if you have a harbor freight around you the have buffing wheels cheap. then put them in a drill.i put my drill in a vice and use a wire wrap to hold the trigger then buff with carnauba wax

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Dremel tools (or their equivalents) are OK but their rpm's are way way too high for a decent polish using Carnauba wax. Typically, even an adjustable speed dremel on it's lowest speed setting spins at about 15,000 rpm which is about 10x too fast to leave a deep shine on a pipe.

I recently replaced my adjustable speed hand drill but here are the costs involved to me.
1 x adjustable speed electric hand drill - $25

4 x 100mm Cotton loose leaf buffer wheels (for use in drill chucks) - $19

1 x 500g Green Tripoli - $8

1 x 500g White Diamond - $8

2 x 250 Carnauba Wax sticks - $4

Total = $64
Or you can buy a small tub of Halcyon II Wax for $5 and at a push you can also use Brown or Neutral Boot Polish (Kiwi is the best brand if you can get it in the States).
Failing all else, use an old cotton T-Shirt and tear into strips. Secure your pipe using what is to hand, and strop, the pipe using the cotton strips.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
It's hard to beat the old standby. Slather the whole pipe (stem to outside of bowl) with extra virgin olive oil, let it sit for a half hour or so, then buff it gently with a soft cloth. Magic.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Another thing you can do is order a wondercloth off eBay for $2.50 and they work really good. If you also get some 0000 steel wool and lightly rub it out with it then use the cloth they will look great. Not as good as a buffing wheel, but vast improvement.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Try halcyon II on rustic or sandblast pipes and Paragon on smooth pipes. Rub it on, allow it to dry and hand buff it out.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Spray lemon pledge on a cloth and let it dry, then polish the pipe with it.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I'm ashamed of myself for forgetting the Pledge trick. I do it after every smoke. It keeps the dirt at bay and adds a shine. It takes less that 30 seconds.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Hm, so which would you guys suggest for alot of pipes? I have about 15-20 coming in.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
OK, once more I need to step in and be the voice of reason. All these guys have ok ideas but it takes far too much work, time and money. The answer lies in the rock polisher you have stored in the basement from when you were a kid. Briar is as hard as a rock. Seperate the stem from the bowl, toss them in the rock polisher and set it on medium for 3 hours and your pipes will come out glistening.
Don't have a rock polisher? No problem. Take a 50 pound bag of sand, pop it in the drier with all your pipes and stems and after 1 cycle, your pipe collection will look like it just came from the store.

eagleten1

Lurker
Oct 19, 2010
savinelli makes a stem polish.it is nothing more than an extremely fine rubbing compound.Most well stocked pipe stores will have and/or can get.After using this on the stem,you can put a small amount on your finger and rub the briar along the grain.Use Tre-Wax as a finisher. Will take some effort but if you work at it 'it will work better than anything.If you do not have experience with a dremel tool-LEAVE IT ALONE

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I ordered a miracle cloth for three bucks I thought it was worth a try. I didn't know if you meant miracle cloth or wonder cloth but the miracle says it's for cleaning and polishing an the wonder one only said it was absorbent.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Sand bags, rock cleaners and Pledge. You've given me much to consider here. Thanks.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
the oxi clean is great for stems, and I am going to try the pledge trick.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
They have a bench grinder on sale for $20 today. Is 2950 rpm too much for buffing pipes? I need to know within the hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.