PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have a few jars that really smell like what was stored in them. Rose snuff in a few (always buy snuff in bulk, it's way better). A Brebbia aromatic that is one of two actual long lasting strong ghosters and a Solani Aro that ghosts just as completely (Sweet Mystery X). So in other words my jar cleaning so far is pretty garbage, any advice???

Oct 7, 2016
Don’t reuse lids as stated. I generally save empty jars up until I have six or eight, run them through the dishwasher with soap, then run them again without soap on a cycle that has a high temperature rinse. Even that might be overkill.

run them through the dishwasher with soap, then run them again without soap on a cycle that has a high temperature rinse. Even that might be overkill.
All that happens inside a dishwasher is that it gets sprayed, sprayed with soap and then sprayed with water. It’s not very likely that a dishwasher would get sticky gooey tobacco residue out of a jar. It doesn’t even get peanut butter off a spoon.
I have to get onto my kids for running dishes that don’t get cleaned the first time again through the dishwasher, because you can run them 12 times and it’s still not going to get then clean.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I have a few jars that really smell like what was stored in them. Rose snuff in a few (always buy snuff in bulk, it's way better). A Brebbia aromatic that is one of two actual long lasting strong ghosters and a Solani Aro that ghosts just as completely (Sweet Mystery X). So in other words my jar cleaning so far is pretty garbage, any advice???

I’ve successfully gotten the smell out of pickle jars through the following method:

1) place offending jar in the sink, with a very large metal spoon (spatula, etc) in the jar

2) put a lot of baking soda in the jar with the spoon

3) bring large pot of water to boil on stove

4) pour boiling water into the jar that contains the baking soda and the large metal spoon

5) stir with spoon, making sure the baking soda reaches all the internally exposed parts of the jar

6) profit

The boiling water expands the glass and the baking soda does its work on the odor. The large metal spoon should absorb the shock of the boiling water.

Additional tip: before adding the spoon and baking soda, it doesn’t hurt to get the offending jar warmed up by using hot tap-water.

This is my go-to method and it has yet to fail.

(With a mason/ball jar I would use a new lid).

Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't waste good mason jar space with aromatics and therefore don't have the problem. Were I to do such a thing, I expect Python's recommendation is a good one. The other thing is, when I am finished with a fine blend of tobacco and have the empty jar, I kind of celebrate by throwing the jar into the fireplace.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Fill a sink with hot soapy water, grab a brush that fits inside the jar, or if you hand fits, use a rag, and scrub the inside of the jar, rinse, put in hot Clorox water, rinse with cold water, and dry, or boil in water for ten minutes. Really the scrubbing by hand is the important part.
You can change the lids. They tend to hold the smell in the rubber gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.