PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethananth

Lurker
Apr 14, 2019
Florida
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I tend to smoke the same pipe with different tobacco everyday. I have a falcon with 3 dedicated bowls and one for anything I wish. I do have a handful of pipes but I'm not much the collector as I am the tobacco buyer. The falcon is easier for me to maintain as I smoke everyday all day. I rarely clean and rest my briar pipes unless it gets too wet for comfort. Usually I do a deep cleaning once a month or two.That's how I enjoy pipe smoking. Small pipe collection large tobacco reserve with one monthly deep cleaning and resting as needed only. How does everyone else enjoy the hobby out of curiosity. I feel the way I do it is old fashioned but works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have a small collection, I tend to smoke my cheaper pipes more often. I usually only rest them at night. I have no regard for a rotation. I wash my pipes after every couple of smokes and never have any problems. We share the same philosophy, pipes are the tool and the tobacco is what counts. I don't have a falcon but I damn sure need to buy one, this list is steadily growing. Haha

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Pretty much like you, I have 6-7 beat-up pipes which I've sort of designated for Latakia, non-Latakia and Vanilla and smoke about 1 bowl per day. Building tobacco supplies is my focus.

Sometimes I wish I could smoke more but then again I reckon smoking all day everyday would take away some of the enjoyment from it.

Reactions: chopper and gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I'm fairly new to the pipe smoking world, so my collection is modest. I have 4 briars and 2 cobs. I try to keep the english/Balkans in a single briar, aromatics go in the cob, and the other 3 briars get whatever va, vaper, or burley blend I decide on. I'm pretty satisfied with my pipes and try to focus on the cellar now. The tobacco purchases have slowed down alot, but I'm still trying to make at least an order/month of a pound of leaf, give or take. I wish I had more time to enjoy actually smoking my pipes, lol. Life is on the busy side these days, but for the time it starts to slow down, i want to make sure I have some nice quality tobacco to enjoy

Reactions: chopper

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That is a very interesting 'Op-Ed' about pipes. I am sure during the 1650s a similar type of dialogue took place in Ale Houses all over the U.S regarding changing and washing clothes and underwear. I am sure that the prevailing wisdom of the time was they were fine until they stuck to the wall or that you smelled so bad that the lady of hourly virtue Lucy 'Bury Me in a Y shaped Coffin' Nutter refused to give you a quick three shilling seeing too in the stables.

I tend to rotate my pipes, however when I travel to warmer climbs to avoid the NY winter I tend to only bring a few pipes with me, focusing instead on tobacco since Tampa doesn't really have any B&M's that I have found to date. Meerschaum pipes seem to be more forgiving of intense periods of smoking. I find a fluffy modeling pipe cleaner down the stem every day and a once weekly bowl scrape are all is needed. Since switching to these meerschaum 'Philt Pads' (Unpaid Endorsement) I have found that my pipe is soaking up all the moisture far more efficiently and greatly adding to the coloring.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't smoke on a daily basis but on a rather random basis but when I do smoke I prefer to sit and really relax with my pipe. Once it warms up a little bit more I'll smoke more evenings but I don't care too much for being cold while smoking.

I tend to enjoy specific blends in specific pipes as my collection is a bit eclectic but I also have blends that I smoke in any of my pipes. I guess the only "rule" I follow is that I don't smoke Lakelands in certain pipes. I don't smoke a lot of Lakelands so even that's not an issue.

Sometimes I'll smoke the same pipe repeatedly but I do prefer to switch back and forth between two different pipes throughout the day.

I've got a few pipes I haven't been able to bring myself to smoke yet while others I abuse the heck out of with most of my collection falling somewhere in between.

Also, I prefer to have a glass of nice spirit or decent red with my pipe.

These are just my pairing preferences:

English: Scotch (or Bourbon)
Balkan: Bourbon (or Red)
VA or VaPer: Cognac (or Rum or Red)
Aromatic: Rum (or Cognac)

There are, of course, exceptions to these and many blends straddle the line between types.

Reactions: chopper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have quite an array of pipes, such that I shy away from counting them. Let's say over eighty. I have some up-market treasures, but most are factory pipes bought over years, very carefully, often on deep discount, which is my version of the sport. I smoke a bowl or two a day, sometimes none, and end up buying more tobacco than I smoke, thus accumulating quite a stash for someone who doesn't intentionally cellar blends. I like nearly all genres, but burley is my weakness. I try to keep all my pipes in rotation, so I intend to smoke them all at least every few months. About a third of my pipes and blends are gifts.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I have a ton of cobs. I have a Monday-Sunday rotation for every type of blend I enjoy (American-English/light English, bourbon/whiskey aromatics, straight black cavendish, and non-aromatics with no latakia (basically just plain codger blends and VaBurs). The only exception is for full Englishes, which I prefer to smoke from a churchwarden.

For misc aromatics, I have a bunch of random, single pipes I use, mostly cobs.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Following a break from pipe smoking for several years while I was working and living in Hawai’i, I am now back on the farm in western North Carolina and have reorganized the way I smoke and what pipes I am using regularly as I tend to smoke while I am outside working. All of my “nice” pipes are largely untouched these days and I have a few rougher pipes I take out which get banged around pretty good and I have been favoring mostly bent pipes that don’t mind getting too muddy. I do plan to pull out my best pipe today in honor of pipe smokers day and remain comfortable on this wet and snowy day and break open one of the HU blends I recently ordered from Germany to do a comparison with the stock’s I’ve been hoarding!

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I havent dedicated any pipes to specific blends, maybe I should now that I have a few. I do smoke both lat blends and non lat, that seems to be the distinction of most to dedicate pipes for. I only smoke once a day or so, and I just pick the pipe Im in the mood for, then the blend I want and go for it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I have over 100 pipes but over the past year I've only really focus on two of my best meerchaums. I smoke about 3-4 bowls a day. When I first started 8-9 years ago I followed so much hog wash about how to smoke a pipe that it became detremental to my pipe smoking. So I just gave up on learning and just did things my way and worked it all out myself. And that is when I truly began enjoying my pipe smoking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
@jpmcwjr Damn man, You didn't have to scream! ha ha!
Oopah!!

Apologies, but did you choose to be offended?? :)

I just copied in the thread title, capitalized the words except the ones I didn't, and it came in bold and large. Debolded the reply. That's all. It won't happen again. Really. I will try to be better. Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.