PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
A few months into smoking pipes I bought a grab bag of seconds from MM. Most of them were the legend style I think one Washington... Anyways, they practically all look identical and I like to designate them to a particular style blend. This one will be VAs, this one Aros, and this one Lat blends. Well I find my self picking one up and giving it a sniff to tell which is which, I would like to see/read how you all tell yours apart. I feel like I can make my life a bit easier by somehow marking them but I would rather not go at it with a pen or something similar.
Thanks!

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I have to MM Gentlemen. I didn't mark them. One of them sits flat on its bowl and the other doesn't.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nothing wrong with the sniff test method! :mrgreen:
I just have a simple "left side / right side" method with

Lat's on the left, Va's in the middle and Vaper's on the right.
Still ... good to sniff or taste a quick draw to be sure.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Nothing wrong with the sniff test method!
I know, but it takes up valuable relaxation time :rofl: really, I just was curious if anyone else had a better view.
You could always mark them on the bottom of the bowl where it doesn't show.
I also thought of this, the cobs already have an "x" on the bottom due them being seconds so might as well put a small "v" "l" or "a"
Tape a tiny label to the pipe rest or place in the rack where the pipe sits between smokes.
When I first got them I did write on a small piece of paper which one I smoked out of them, when I ran out of that blend they were just tossed. I guess I could now do that with a "v" "a" or "l"

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
If you wanted to put some time and effort into it, you could sand the finish off of the shank and stain the shanks of your cobs different colors that you associate with whatever style tobacco you're smoking in each one.
Another easier option is to put a colored strip of tape around the shank, maybe right up by the stem/shank junction to make it look like a band.
Yet another option is to buy up a bunch of different stem types and coordinate the pipes by their stem style. i.e: chair leg for lats, bent for VAs, straight for aros, etc.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I'm thinkin' about making some acrylic stems for each - maybe red for VA, green for Latakia mixtures, tortoise for burley.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have an egg carton that currently serves as a pipe rack - I just labeled it with a Sharpie. :D

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I keep several Great Dane Eggs, Country Gentlemen's, and 2 Freehand's. I can usually tell what each is used for by the replacement stems I have in each but I have thought if it ever becomes a problem I would mark the bottom with a magic marker.
I did buy a couple of MM Morgan's from CVS the other day with 75% off. I've never had a cob that small before and really not expecting to get too much from them either.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I have 4 Country Gents and one General. The General is obvious but the Gents are distinguished by either the replacement stems, like johnny does, various obvious repairs or a combination of both.
The good news with cobs is that if you mix up your Thursday Pipe on Tuesday, who cares?

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I use custom stems from an eBay seller called "corncobpipes". I love his work and stem material used, he even throws in a 'softy bit' if you like preserving your new stems. He sells all kinds of colors and I like the color coding system mentioned here.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I suppose you could paint a face on each one or better still cut out a face for each pipe from a magazine and glue them to the cob! The possibilities are endless. The burnt out cob would be an Obama, the slow burning cob would George Bush and the one with the flex stem would be a Bill Clinton. The one with the mouth piece on upside down would be an Arthur Anderson cob and the one with no hole in the bowl would be a Hillary Clinton cob! :rofl:

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I just marked an L, VP or A on the bottom. and then this year I made two cobs, both 5th Avs one bent one straight, with Inner Tubes. This year I was smoking everything in them and didn't notice any cross flavors but I don't have a highly refined sense of taste. So now I throw caution to the wind.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I write on them with a thin sharpie. Just a small v e a o b or c.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Condorlover1, I can't think of a more effective way to get someone to quit smoking altogether than to put that collection of faces on their pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.