PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I am asking because I have really zero answer to this.

It's gone so high that I have smoked more cigarettes in the last month than pipes since the beginning of the year.

We've had a month around 40C, staying outside is awful, smoking outside is a nightmare, it doesn't taste nice, the pipe burns... and there is nowhere inside to have a good time in a cool environment.
How do you guys manage?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Here in Texas, winters are short.
Last year it came on a Thursday....
jay-roger.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You need a high-powered electric fan at your feet. Drink cold water or hot tea (which helps, oddly). Be in the shade.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
More seriously, part of it is simply acclimation.
I do not expect to be comfortable sitting outside in shorts and a tank top at 40 degrees F, but those in Minnesota consider that balmy.
After 20 years here, however, 95F in the shade with iced tea seems not so bad.
Stay hydrated. Keep a clean hand towel to mop your hands and head.
Shade and moving air help. If you don't use a fan, as Deathmetal suggests, choose the breezy side of any barriers.
I sit out for 45 minutes at 5:30am for my morning smoke and again at 2:30pm for the after work smoke.
The briar does get hotter in the afternoon. Nothing to be done about it, except work on your slow cadence.
I also have my "line in the stand". When it topped 110F recently, I informed my dear wife that I would be smoking the afternoon pipe indoors and that I required her compromise on the matter.
The couch wasn't as comfy but the PM smoke was nice..... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

poppabear

Lurker
Aug 6, 2017
I fairly new to pipes compared to some on here but with heat generally comes humidity in the summer (well here on the right coast anyway). I have found lately with a hot daytime smoke to have the tobacco dryer due to the humidity in the air. You can see from my other post about wet tobacco and some of the suggestions that came from very knowledgeable members here. Also maybe look into a cigar shop with a lounge? Here some shops only require a small purchase the day of to use their lounge. Some places require membership and some are a free for all. Good luck! Also maybe consider smoking a cob?

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Thanks for the answers but the temperature I mentioned is 40C - 40 degrees centigrade ... really hot!

Haha I imagine many people thought I was being sarcastic.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I love it. Anything below 80°F, and I freeze.
I agree(and I'm a fat bastard). I just remind myself how I freeze my balls off every winter, and I'm good... :clap:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
We've had two weeks of 90 to 105 degree weather here in Portland, Oregon. Our solution for one of those weeks was to take off for the coast. We had a great time.
This past week we've been hunkered down in our basement family room where the it stays comfortable year round. We even slept down here one night.
Some people I know spent a day at the local mall and public library during the warmest hours.
Fortunately rain and lower temps will returning here on Monday. That was our two weeks of summer.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Wrap a cold wet towel around your neck, it cools the blood in your arteries that carry blood through your body

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I mentioned is 40C - 40 degrees centigrade ... really hot!
Yep, around 104F. Still my kind of weather. 82F or 27.7C where I am right now, and I'm wearing long sleeves.

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
HaHa---Where I live in Guatemala it hasn't gotten above 79F this year. High alitude keeps it cool all year around.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Andy's suggestion is actually a really good one.
In humid climates, most definitely dry your tobacco. The heat plus humidity will hydrate it very quickly.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here in Las Vegas it has been around 105-115F for the highs the past two months. The only way to keep up the pipe smoking this time of year is to have a bowl right when you wake up (it's only about 90F then) or just before you go to bed (the sun is down and it's only around 98F). Other than that you have to hit up a local tobacconist or a local bar that is air conditioned and will let you smoke inside.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
How do I handle a heat wave? I bitch and moan like a little baby.
We've had two weeks of 90 to 105 degree weather here in Portland, Oregon. Our solution for one of those weeks was to take off for the coast.
I felt bad for you all as it was actually cooler on the east side of the Cascades which does not happen often. You also had much higher humidity.

You get used to it. I spent several weeks camping out at the beach one summer. 100-105F the entire time. We were continually outside. After three days we stopped sweating so much. By the end of the first week, when we ran into the grocers, my kids and I all froze, we were literally chattering out teeth. By the ride back home, we didn't even need the AC in the car.
We turn the AC to 80F and just drink lots of tea here in Alabama. 90 Degrees in the Shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.