PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Depends on the ring gauge and what the cigar is. Small things like a petit corona gets a punch. Anything box pressed is either a punch or a V. Anything with a tapered end gets a guillotine. This summer though I've been using a V 95% of the time.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Palio (before they were ruined by Quality Importers or whatever that fly by night company is).

I will punch rarely when it's a loosely-rolled NC

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Cigars are expensive. At least the ones worth smoking are. That's why I like to treat tobacco as a special thing and with a lot of respect.
I've been using a Davidoff double guillotine for many years. It's part of my cigar smoking experience and ritual. Just like some claim using matches or a special lighter for pipes as being part of the ritual on pipes or all the other hokey-pokey we do when we light up a pipe. I can't imagine biting into a cigar for no reason whatsoever.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Xikar XO guillotine, the same that "tbradsim1" posted a pic of, had it for years, and still produces a clean cut. I average 3 Cigars a week, by no means a lot, but still considerable strain for 1 cutter.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Back when I was buying a few cigars, I got several of those little cutters with the hole in the middle and two little finger grips, like a double guillotine, nothing fancy. They work so-so, being freebies. I have resorted to gnawing, which does the job, and if you do it right, you get to spit the gnawed morsel at the wastebasket for target practice, or emphasis.
One of my favorite memories of watching the Three Stooges is where Curly gnaws the cap off the end of a cigar and turns to spit it out. Ka-pow!...it lands right on an unsuspecting lady's neck. Being offended, she slaps Curly and a fight breaks out. Those guys knew comedy!

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
When i was younger , i used to do it "a lo guajiro". Now , after 50 years of pipe & cigar smoking , my teeth are not the same so i use a sharp guillotine cutter. I avoid the cheap ones not made from stainless steel because their performance is poor.

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
I using victorinox cigar knife, very rare, but I get the chance and find one in local diler stock, this knife not so popular, so it's gathering dust on the shelf for many years waiting for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211025-230414_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211025-230414_eBay.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0