PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm not a clencher but I have a pipe with an acrylic stem I use when working in the yard. I put a rubber bit on it but I'm thinking of changing that to the infamous bondage tape.
Before I do anything, however, I gotta ask, how do you guys clench without drooling problems. I drool worse than my 3 month old daughter when I clench. Is there a trick to this or is the drool something that lessens naturally with practice? Or am I doing something wrong?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How Do You Clench?
Gently.
I found softie bits were apt to promote drooling- at least the accumulation of saliva in the mouth. One of many reasons I don't like them.
I don't know how I do it, but I just don't drool when smoking, clenching or not. Sorry, I can't attribute that to anything conscious.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Drooling while clenching has never been an issue so I don't know how to answer your question. I guess you should just try it for awhile to perfect your method.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I clench alot and have recently just starting using softee bits and I love em, drooling has never been a problem for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I place the softy bit just in front of the button and just hang the pipe on my lower teeth and balance with my uppers. More of a dangle than a clench and never has drooling issues.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The bit rests between my rear molars with the jaw at rest. No pressure exerted unless I'm doing something strenuous, chain sawing or the like. The pipe faces forward on the teeth a bit to the side of my front teeth.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Like a pissed off beaver
IMG-20190412-131949.jpg

Why I can't do vulcanite....

Reactions: mikey517

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I find I only drool when bending over for a long time. (Yes, I also drool when she bends over)

The clench is not really a clench though, like someone already said its just balancing really

Reactions: Lyle b

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I found softie bits were apt to promote drooling- at least the accumulation of saliva in the mouth. One of many reasons I don't like them
I found the same thing as jpmcwjr. I figured out it's the extra thickness of the bit, that for me, causes me to drool rather than the rubber.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I very rarely clench. I do find that not completely sealing my lips around the pipe stem reduces drooling issues. An exaggeration of this is if you held the stem entirely by your teeth and then did a big Joker's smile while drawing smoke from your pipe. Enough additional air rushes directly into your mouth to dry out any potential drool.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
To be able to comfortably clench a pipe, you need a well made stem. Rounder stems are crap for clenching, thin and flat is what I look for. The drooling might be an issue of trying to work too hard to clench the pipe.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I used to have drooling problems as well while clenching, but when I quit drawing in through my mouth that problem went away.
The only time I intentionally draw in through the mouth is when I'm first lighting up or occasionally if it's going out and/or tamping. The rest of the time I just breath through my nose and that normally creates just enough draw into the mouth to facilitate clenching.
As for the rubber tips, I can't tolerate them...but the dry vinyl tape Craig recommended works splendidly.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Anytime you put anything in your mouth it signals the body to start the digestive process. I’m a full time clencher and whenever I think I am building an excess of saliva I take it out of my mouth for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.