How Do You Classify 1/8th, 1/4th, 1/2 Bent?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
It seems different manufacturers use the terms very differently. One brand's full bent is another's 1/2 bent. Do you guys base it on the angle of the shank to the bowl? For instance, there are some pipes where the bowl and shank form a right angle, but the stem is slightly bent. What would you consider this?:
bentpipe.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I consider that a straight pipe with an inexplicably bent stem.

Very roughly, I think in terms of degrees, where 45 degrees of shank bend (compared to the bowl) would be 1/2 bent, and 90 degrees (eg bowl and shank parallel like a proper Oom Paul) to be full bent. But there's not especial particular agreed upon standard for this stuff.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Pipe smoking isn't blessed with a governing body, thank goodness. I look at a pipe and notice if it's or straight. If it's bent, it's bent. I pay no heed to the degree and if it passes a few other tests I might purchase it. I only have pipes which are bent to some degree or another. So, to answer your question, it's a bent.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Not only do I not know the precision of angle for bent pipes, I can’t remember the names of non standard shapes.

That’s a bent pipe. I don’t know the angle of the dangle

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.