PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Seems like we-re pretty much divided equally in cellar styles. I'm in the middle with a number of a few and singles/doubles of several. Like some here have commented, my goal this year is to stock only those I like and try hard to pass on the sizzle of the latest sparkly offering!
On another note, I was stunned at the volume some of you all have put away. Did some quick math and was again quite surprised that I have around the 18-20# mark put away. All those little tins sure do add up! puffy

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
So my cellaring methods have been pretty simple since I've started. I have not tried a crazy amount of blends, but I started with a few aromatics, then some Va's, then a few English blends. Instead of trying a hundred blends, I've stayed inside the 15 blends I have tried and stocked up on 3-4 that I have enjoyed, being mainly Va's. I have a few burley blends on order so we'll see if they float my boat enough to stock some Burley away for the flood. Currently sitting at 20 lbs. I'm lucky if I smoke 2 bowls a week at this point of my life. This will definately increase when kids grow up, move out and I retire. I'll probably need alot more

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I just buy whatever strikes my fancy and jar it when it gets here and put it in a cupboard. Done that since I've been piping (~28 months now). It wasn't till two days ago that I decided to inventory it, and I just used an Excel spreadsheet.

Reactions: BROBS
Jun 9, 2018
England
At the moment I've got about 31lb in my cellar made up of 152 different blends. It's wide but not very deep, Mostly a tin or two of each. I've only got over 10 tins of 3 blends: Warrior, PPP and Dunhill Dark Flake.
85% of them are blends from America & Germany, I wanted to have lots of choice for when they eventually stop selling abroad.
Of course I'm sure they'll be plenty of times in the coming years when I'll really, really wish I could get more of one of these blends but won't be able to, either because they don't make it anymore or the country that sells it doesn't ship internationally.
I suppose it depends on which saying you prefer:

What you've never had you'll never miss.

Or

It's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all.

I prefer the latter one.

Reactions: Bowie

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I started buying aged Virginia's early on off of Ebay. Was able to accumulate 10ish pounds of old stuff at a low cost 3-5 years ago. Half of that is various old McClelland.

I was buying poundage to age at the same time. Some of it is now 5 years old and ready to go.

I've blown through maybe 5 pounds of the old stuff in the past couple of years, still have the rest in storage. It's allowed me to not break open anything that's not at least 5 years old.

Total cellar is around 150lbs and it's 90% virginias

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
just started to cellar. mostly the blends i know and i will smoke. getting what seems interesting in one or two tins to test. mostly to last 3-4 yrs. from the history, if prohibition was of any example, any prevention of any tobacco sale won't last too long.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I started buying blends through suggestions. Tried a bunch and settled on some that I knew I could enjoy long term. Even learning them as I bought more. I also considered best “bang for the buck” blends. Not chasing unicorns and focusing on tried and true blends.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just the other day separated my tobacco. I had everything in my small cabinet, but I moved half of it to a small tote, to actually cellar and not touch for years. Now I have more room in my cabinet to fill with more tobacco.

And I must be at around 12 lbs. But it's all tobacco I like now. Weeded out the other stuff.

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I have put away 29 pounds since I started. I keep track in an Excel spreadsheet. As far as content, I'm all over the place. I'm still finding out what I like and taste seems to change on a weekly basis. Either I figure out what I really like soon or I just keep putting a bunch of different things away.

Status
Not open for further replies.