PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Meaning... What kind of cellaring do you do? I've met, through forums, a lot of different pipe enthusiasts and most do their collecting somewhat differently. It seems that we pretty much fall into one of three camps.
Where do you fall?

The disciplined type that plans and has just a few different tobacco blends, but many multiples of each? ?
The one that has no real plan - just put away a hell of a lot of different tins & bags? ?
Lastly, the dude in the middle, with multiples of just a few select blends and mostly singles of many others? ?

Spa32

Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I fall into the first type, except I have more then a few different blends. I've definitely planned out my cellar since I realized that I need to be cellaring.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I like variety. I put up over ten pounds of my absolute favorites. A larger quantity of very well liked between five to ten pounds. Probably a near equal quantity in the two to five pounds range. Some of those could move up when I am able to purchase more. Then there's the stuff less than two pounds stored that is the nice for a change of pace now and then. A little over 400 pounds at this point.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
My first round of cellaring was in 2012-2013 and I was a newbie who purchased five of everything I thought I might like with reckless abandon. Many blends I purchased was for stuff I hadn't personally tried, but that others raved about. I was in full-blown sheep mode back then and followed the herd.

Then a few years later, a whee bit wiser, I learned some discipline and was much more strategic in my purchases and bought a lot of stuff I knew I loved. From 2016-2018 my tobacco buying dwindled to a trickle and I would only buy unicorn blends or the occasional new release that happened to be in stock at my B&M.

I considered going on a deep G.L. Pease cellaring run late last year and making 2020 the "Year of the Pease" on my New Year Tobacco Calendar, but a quick scan of my cellar inventory tells me the last thing I need is to purchase more pipe tobacco. I might pick up some pairs of new releases that come out, but I think I'm finally done-done and my TAD is in remission again.

I've got a collector bug though that rears its ugly head from time to time, so my best laid plans might not survive first contact as 2020 gets underway...

Spa32

Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
My first round of cellaring was in 2012-2013 and I was a newbie who purchased five of everything I thought I might like with reckless abandon. Many blends I purchased was for stuff I hadn't personally tried, but that others raved about. I was in full-blown sheep mode back then and followed the herd.

Then a few years later, a whee bit wiser, I learned some discipline and was much more strategic in my purchases and bought a lot of stuff I knew I loved. From 2016-2018 my tobacco buying dwindled to a trickle and I would only buy unicorn blends or the occasional new release that happened to be in stock at my B&M.

I considered going on a deep G.L. Pease cellaring run late last year and making 2020 the "Year of the Pease" on my New Year Tobacco Calendar, but a quick scan of my cellar inventory tells me the last thing I need is to purchase more pipe tobacco. I might pick up some pairs of new releases that come out, but I think I'm finally done-done and my TAD is in remission again.

I've got a collector bug though that rears its ugly head from time to time, so my best laid plans might not survive first contact as 2020 gets underway...
How many pounds?

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
How many pounds?

Approximately 165 pounds. The majority is cataloged using tobaccocellar.com, but I get lazy (or busy) at times and about 15 pounds or more is in my cellar, but not easily tracked/traced outside of what I write on the lid or the bottom of the tin. At my rate of puffing this will last me the rest of my life.

Reactions: Spa32 and BROBS

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I'm in the middle. I have a number of blends that I tried, liked, but which didn't quite stick with me enough to cellar deeply. I have others that I've stocked in greater depth. At the rate that I smoke I have enough to see me through the next 15 years.
What’s your rate, Sable? Mine is three bowls a week: Saturday, Sunday & Wednesday.

Reactions: sablebrush52

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
My cellar was a treasure trove of damn near every Balkan available until I took a sharp turn about 6 months ago and did some major trimming of the fat. Now it's down to a cozy 10-12 lbs, mostly stockpiles of my favorites, with a few notable outliers.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I am up there at the top with hoosier.

I focus on the ones I enjoy and then the ones that others enjoy...to get me the ones I enjoy if the end all happens!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I've probably got over close to 15lbs of tobacco. I have various 8oz tins of blends I really like, as well as some bulk in 8oz too. I haven't gone too deep on them, but compared to others, more-so. The various 2oz tins are a mixed bag. I'll eventually get around to them, hoping that it's a blend still readily available if I so choose I really like it. However, the blends I do enjoy I think I'm going to make a concerted effort to stock up on those this year instead of buying 2oz tins of things I have never tried before, considering I don't have access to them as I live out of the country.

Reactions: badbriar

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Over the years, my goal has been to have enough tobacco put away so that 1) I had enough tobacco that, when I retired (2018) I wouldn't have to buy tobacco unless I went into a B&M to get other supplies and 2) I didn't get caught with my pants down when blends I like disappear.
McClelland Virginias and VaPers and Syrian blends make up the bulk of my celler. Back when both Gawith pound boxes could be had readily for $30.00, I put several pounds of those favorites away. Today, I am under no pressure to buy anything but can enjoy Virginias etc with 10-20 years of age. I have the English blends I enjoy. If I had to do it over, I would probably go deeper rather than wider,but not too much so.
Mike S.

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
The single, best thing I did with cellaring was to make an inventory. Now, when somebody has a sale, I look at my inventory sheet and know what to do. I was lost before that.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I keep track of the cellar using an app called Aborea. I think it was $2 or something. It works for android and I recommend it highly.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
About 3 bowls a day. That's down from 5 to 8. Some days I'll do less, occasionally none, and I usually leave the pipes and tobaccos behind when I go on a trip.
Thanks for letting me know. I feel comfortable and satisfied with my current pace, but I do tend to smoke more when on vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.