PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Retirement and the pandemic have caused my mileage on my Mazda to be minimal, but the car is six years old and has the original tires. My local Discount Tire store has a handout that says tires age out at 6 years, and visual inspection says two of the tires are marginal, and the others worn. We're an older couple, and a flat, much more a blow-out, would be a catastrophe for us. Most of our errands and medical appointments are done in my car. So, should I get a new set of tires or wait another year? I'm thrifty, but I don't want to be stupid. The car has only 32,000 miles, but the original tires look tired. Sorry to be so off the pipe subject, but I've gotten some useful consumer advice here in the past, from bright folks here, pro and con. I'll give the Discount Tire people credit for being low key and not going into a big fear and shame campaign. Time for tires?

I am not an expert and I hope some expert will answer you. Here’s what I would do though

1. I will take an opinion from a trusted mechanic who would inspect the tire visually. While rubber do degenerate after a period, only a visual inspection would tell whether it need to be changed
2. In the absence of the opinion of a mechanic, it is better to change
3. Buy a reputed brand (Preferably OEM) - they are worth it
4. Costco is a good place to change tires for cheap

I did a little bit research on this.

1. General Consensus- After 6 years inspect them for dry rot regularly. Change them between 6-10 years

2. My cars use Bridgestone. Bridgestone recommends changing them before 10 year mark

3. I have a guide to identify dry rot - but it is better done by a mechanic

4. Research your tire brand - they will have a knowledge base on this

Link 1- How to identify dry rot

Link 2 - Bridgestone recommendation of 10 years

Reactions: jeepnewbie
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Tires do degrade. You should be able to see micro cracks.

No reason to purchase anything expensive if your driving is minimal.

if been using Tire Rack for years. They use your local installers.

Reactions: mso489

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
First off I ran car dealerships in the 1980's and appraised hundreds of card over the years. What kind off what make are the tires and did you buy them new? How often did you have them changed, in terms of rotating your tires. . Is your car front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. Do you have a trustworthy mechanic you have been doing business with for a number of years? Ask him theses questions then get back to me.If you do not have a local guy you can trust then I will be that guy for you. It will take a few more questions but we will get there.
I worked in Dodge stores. Ford, Isuzu stores. My speciality was being a closer and training new sales man and turning them into killers. I was a real stickler for product knowledge

I forgot to ask how many miles are on the car. WHat type of car and make of car.I am forgetting a number of qualifying questions I normally wouldn't but I am getting old so you will have to forgive ,me/

Last edited:
Reactions: Brendan and mso489

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
UV and sitting will wear out tires as surely (but not as quickly) as regular use.

Replace them if in doubt. Having a tire blow out at highway speeds is not pleasant and even if you don’t crash it sucks to change a flat because it always happens in shitty weather in the most dangerous or inconvenient places, usually when you’re wearing nice clothes and are late for something important.

A new set of tires doesn’t have to break the bank and I’ve had good luck with Discount Tire.

Aug 1, 2012
I, over they years, have become familiar with tires and their issues. One thing you will find is that long before dry rot sets in, you will experience less grip and longer stopping distances. The tire may look fine and not display cracks but instead become harder and a bit more brittle, making them less grippy. I know that many will discount a stopping distance that is 10 feet further on a 60-0 (~100-0 kph) emergency stop but that can make the difference between an accident and a safe stop.

Another thing that people often think is that you can drive on one set of tires year round. If you understand the difference temperature can make though, you will have a good set of winter tires installed for the winter months. Unless your local temperature never drops below 45°f that is.

Reactions: mso489

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I am not an expert and I hope some expert will answer you. Here’s what I would do though

1. I will take an opinion from a trusted mechanic who would inspect the tire visually. While rubber do degenerate after a period, only a visual inspection would tell whether it need to be changed
2. In the absence of the opinion of a mechanic, it is better to change
3. Buy a reputed brand (Preferably OEM) - they are worth it
4. Costco is a good place to change tires for cheap
I agree with every point! Costco is very worth it. They will also do free rotations for tires you buy through them.

Reactions: cshubhra

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Just for knowledge sake in my opinion no one makes a better passenger car tire than Michelin. It is the only tire I will buy for my cars and I will only buy Dunlop for truck tires.
Good Year tires suck as do Firestone and Yokohama.
My mother who is 86 only buys Michelin, rotates when she is supposed to and gets 70,000 miles plus on her tires all the time. I tell her when it is time to buy new tires not a sales man or a tire dealer. She has never had a blow out. She drives a Toyota Siena and has had this last set for over ten years plus. she puts on a few thousand miles on per year. I just tried talking her our of it as I do need a van but she is like me and saw me coming from a mile away. I ended up stealing a Didge Caravan that was a cream puff, so I am very happy as I only buy from private sellers.

Reactions: burleyboy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I didn't really comprehend the question asked as I am in one of my mental issues.
If they were my tires I would take the car on the highway and get it up to at least 85 plus on the highway for 20 mikes or so and then keep it at 80 for another 30 miles. then down to 75mph and then bring it home. I would then put my fingers in the tires and see how much tread was left on them. If they still had some good tread like a1/4 inch-1/2 inch or so then bring them to your mechanic and asked him what he thought about the tires then I would listen to what he said. The tires should be fine and and good for another 25,000 miles. Make sure he puts them on the rotation machine and if he doesn't have one find someone he trusts who does have one as that is real important.

Sorry for spacing out on you there.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Mar 1, 2014
I, over they years, have become familiar with tires and their issues. One thing you will find is that long before dry rot sets in, you will experience less grip and longer stopping distances. The tire may look fine and not display cracks but instead become harder and a bit more brittle, making them less grippy. I know that many will discount a stopping distance that is 10 feet further on a 60-0 (~100-0 kph) emergency stop but that can make the difference between an accident and a safe stop.

Another thing that people often think is that you can drive on one set of tires year round. If you understand the difference temperature can make though, you will have a good set of winter tires installed for the winter months. Unless your local temperature never drops below 45°f that is.
Up North here we leave the Winters on year-round.
For some people swapping to summer rubber might still be worthwhile but there's only three months (on a good year) without the possibility of snow.

Reactions: ofafeather

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I replaced my wifes Michelin's after 6 years and they still had 1/2 the tread left. Just because she is more valuable than a set of tires. To me.

Reactions: ofafeather
Mar 1, 2014
So here's an interesting thought: Do softer tires take longer to degrade to the performance level of new hard compound tires?

If you replace your tires often and have plenty of tread left, you might be able to maximize both the performance and the life of the tire by buying a softer compound.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.