How Do I Repair a Meerschaum Lined Pipe. Lining Appears to Have Risen.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Take blurry pictures and put it on eBay for $50, saying it belonged to Prince Metternich. Problem solved.

I have no insight to your actual problem. These linings are usually pressed meerschaum, which I’m told is pretty fragile, so pushing it in is risky.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I have had several do exactly that. I know of no good way to fix the problems. Have Googled to no end and can't find anything about it. Just know you are not the Lone Stranger...

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
I'd put it in a vise with wooden sides and goooo slooooow.
Yeah, think of it like pushing in a very delicate caliper piston, or a bearing race. Getting it warm is probably a good idea too. I would imagine the lining was originally held in place with some kind of adhesive.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Because honestly I think you are way more likely to fuck it up trying to get it back in there, which I am not even sure is possible. Shit, it did half the work for you itself!

• Haha
Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When I read the title I was thinking that it's just raised a little as the meerschaum has swelled from moisture [Like my 60s Heibe Goldpoint] but holy-cow-crap Batman, that looks like it's trying to escape.

How does it smoke Mike? If it still smokes well I'd leave it alone & enjoy.
If it's something that you can't ignore, I'd 2nd the rec to contact Briarville.

Status
Not open for further replies.