PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

My local shop has a pipe I really like and I'm thinking about buying it, but it is bare would, and I would like it to be shiny (maybe at least somewhat). Before I buy it, what kind of varnish/lacquer/urethane do I use?

Last edited by a moderator:

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Yea, but I don't like the discoloration it gets from the dirt/oils in your hands. I want something to protect it from that.

Reactions: ofafeather

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
None of the above. A light coating of mineral oil is indicated. If you are getting it "dirty", just wash it off and reapply oil. Over time, the pipe will take on a luster, and will darken. Just buffing with a soft cotton cloth will make it glow. But you need patience.
I read one guy used carnuba wax and a buffing wheel on a Dremel?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I use my yard cobs if I'm smoking with dirty hands and they get no mercy. Any other time I smoke, my hands are clean. This is my series III Savinelli 622 ks. I went over it lightly with micro mesh pads (3000 to 12000) which smoothed out the wood and brought out the grain. Gave it a natural shine. It has colored nicely over the past couple of years. 20210524_191033.jpg

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I use my yard cobs if I'm smoking with dirty hands and they get no mercy. Any other time I smoke, my hands are clean. This is my series III Savinelli 622 ks. I went over it lightly with micro mesh pads (3000 to 12000) which smoothed out the wood and brought out the grain. Gave it a natural shine. It has colored nicely over the past couple of years. View attachment 91795
+1 It’s amazing what sanding through the grits can do for a shine with no other finish. Then you can use the mineral oil as @jpberg suggested or something like Paragon wax or Renaissance wax. You won’t need a buffing wheel with either. You can use a caranuba wax with a dremel but it might take some practice to get right. Regardless, light or natural colored briar finish will darken over time as you smoke them. I love to see that progression but some people don’t.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
+1 It’s amazing what sanding through the grits can do for a shine with no other finish. Then you can use the mineral oil as @jpberg suggested or something like Paragon wax or Renaissance wax. You won’t need a buffing wheel with either. You can use a caranuba wax with a dremel but it might take some practice to get right. Regardless, light or natural colored briar finish will darken over time as you smoke them. I love to see that progression but some people don’t.
I might just do that, Paragon wax it that is. Mineral oil is great stuff. I wipe down my vulcanite stems after each use and haven't had to clean them in years.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
I think I'm going to try Halcyon II wax. It's supposed to be better for rusticated pipes or those with grooves.

Reactions: ofafeather