PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

desrtrat68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
So, I've only been smoking a pipe for a few months, and in that time I've accumulated 28 different varieties of tobacco. This makes me curious as to how many different varieties some of you long time smokers might have? Which one is your favorite? Which one do you have the most of? Which one is the most rare or hard to find?

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m in about 3 years. I have about 60 blends in 2 oz jars and maybe 12 or 14 tins. 3 or 4 tins I’ve never tried, just waiting and adding. 3 more 4 oz jars of bulk hiding to age; bullseye flake, Fusiliers Ration Reserve, and Balkan Supreme.

Next is to really add some more of the stuff I like best. Maybe add Virginia’s. Difficult because I don’t love them now, but I must assume with age and over time I will come to appreciate them.

desrtrat68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I’m in about 3 years. I have about 60 blends in 2 oz jars and maybe 12 or 14 tins. 3 or 4 tins I’ve never tried, just waiting and adding. 3 more 4 oz jars of bulk hiding to age; bullseye flake, Fusiliers Ration Reserve, and Balkan Supreme.

Next is to really add some more of the stuff I like best. Maybe add Virginia’s. Difficult because I don’t love them now, but I must assume with age and over time I will come to appreciate them.

Nice! You're better than me. I would have a hard time buying something and not having at least a taste before cellaring. Especially if I hadn't tried it before.

I'm really hoping JimInks responds. With all the reviews he's done, his cellar must be HUGE.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
In theory I would suggest you to wait 1 year before cellaring and in this time try to understand the different types of blends, reason being at the beginning your taste could change quite significantly.
Practically speaking it has to be considered that regulations could make harder if not impossible even soon to buy online and so to build up a good well differentiated cellar.
A compromise could be to start cellaring with some blends which are popular and well regarded in the community so if you don't like in the future you could easily swap for whatever you'll like.
With this in mind I would tend to cellar flakes and plugs as in my experience I never found one bad of them and Virginia/Vaper as they are the ones which benefit the most from cellaring, and I like the SG & GH blends. Good candidates could be FVF, FVP, Kendall plug or Best Brown flake for virginia, St James flake or plug or Escudo for Va/Per. Bust this is just a suggestion as the list could be infinite.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
So, I've only been smoking a pipe for a few months, and in that time I've accumulated 28 different varieties of tobacco. This makes me curious as to how many different varieties some of you long time smokers might have? Which one is your favorite? Which one do you have the most of? Which one is the most rare or hard to find?

This thread title is quite literally a gold embossed and wax sealed envelope with an invitation contained therein for chasingembers.

That said, I think I bought my first tin of tobacco on 3/29/20 and I’ve got just a shade over 100 blends and about 70lbs of tobacco.

If it isn’t obvious, I also have a problem and an addictive personality.

desrtrat68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
This thread title is quite literally a gold embossed and wax sealed envelope with an invitation contained therein for chasingembers.

That said, I think I bought my first tin of tobacco on 3/29/20 and I’ve got just a shade over 100 blends and about 70lbs of tobacco.

If it isn’t obvious, I also have a problem and an addictive personality.

Nice! If not for the wife's stink eye every time I order more tobacco...I'd be right there with ya haha..

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have enough problems deciding what I'm going to smoke with what I've got. Couldn't imagine if I had 100!

I don't pore over all of them when I am choosing what to smoke. I keep my immediate smoking supply in the man cave. When that runs low, I go to the basement and grab some from the cellar. I rarely spend more than ten seconds deciding what to smoke.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Not particularly deep at the moment. 4 unopened 14-ounce tubs of Prince Albert, half a 14 ounce tub of Carter Hall, a third of a 14-ounce tub of Prince Albert, approximately 12 ounces each of Stokkebye Norwegian, Turkish, and Amsterdam, 3ish ounces of Lane 1-Q, 5ish ounces of random Tinder Box blends, and...oh, about 12 ounces of Drum from before I took up pipes.

There are 2 pipes I’m still actively looking for, plus 2 that I’m inclined to acquire but not urgently, and after that it’s just going to be tobacco and supplies. I’m not going to be in a position to stock a large cellar until after we move, but I can make a respectable start on it.

Reactions: desrtrat68

desrtrat68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
In theory I would suggest you to wait 1 year before cellaring and in this time try to understand the different types of blends, reason being at the beginning your taste could change quite significantly.
Practically speaking it has to be considered that regulations could make harder if not impossible even soon to buy online and so to build up a good well differentiated cellar.
A compromise could be to start cellaring with some blends which are popular and well regarded in the community so if you don't like in the future you could easily swap for whatever you'll like.
With this in mind I would tend to cellar flakes and plugs as in my experience I never found one bad of them and Virginia/Vaper as they are the ones which benefit the most from cellaring, and I like the SG & GH blends. Good candidates could be FVF, FVP, Kendall plug or Best Brown flake for virginia, St James flake or plug or Escudo for Va/Per. Bust this is just a suggestion as the list could be infinite.

I agree totally! I don't have more than 2 oz of any particular blend. I'm currently just trying as many different blends as I can to determine what it is I DO like and what I don't. English blends and Latakia have been the surprise for me. Love em! But there's a few aros that I like too.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I’d say I have somewhere between 150-175 different blends, and maybe 80-100 pounds total. I have a few pounds each of most of my usuals. I wish I had more of some, but sadly they’re not around anymore.

• Wow

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have no idea how many blends I have. Way too many I suppose. Since I returned to working at home I'm definitely smoking more bowls per day so my calculations regarding a sufficient supply are getting revised, at least temporarily.

I aimed to have a 12 to 15 year supply, and stopped buying last year. And then I decided to add a few pounds of various blends from Estervals before the door slams shut. Not that I know that it will, but I have no reason to think that it won't.

I also have no idea what is the deepest amount of any particular blend cellared, though it might be Stonehaven, of which I have 8 lbs, i think. It would be more, but I've given away several lbs of it. McClelland 40th would probably be the runner up at around 7 1/2 lbs.

I tend to like to change it up, so while I have a number of blends in the several lb range, I also have a lot of blends in smaller amounts, blends that I only like to enjoy on occasion. Keeps it interesting.

As for rare or hard to find, I suppose it all depends. Esoteroca blends are supposed to be hard to find, but I've got about 34 lbs of the ones that I most enjoy and they weren't difficult to obtain. Some of the blends I have weren't difficult or hard to find when I acquired them but now are because they're no longer made. I've never bought a blend because it was rare. What would be the point of that?

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
I believe I have about 47 pounds. I'm starting to slow down a bit, but I've done this on a tight budget, and still when bulk sales pop up, I can't resist adding 8 oz or av pound here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.