How Covid-19 Has Affected Scotch & Bourbon Distilleries.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Whilst doing a little general research on bourbon I stumbled upon this interesting article that explains how various distilleries are dealing with the current pandemic.

One thing surprised me in the article, apparently there are thousands of craft whiskey makers in the US. Sadly it states that many of the smaller ones may not survive.

An interesting read.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: BROBS

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I have no idea quite honestly, I haven't looked into it or asked at my local liquor store. I do know that here it would seem liquor sales are essential and I casually haven't noticed a decrease in customers or certain rare sale items staying on the shelves. Your post has me curious and I'm going to inquire about it the next time I'm in. I know that one of the major small regional head distiller was recently in the store because one of the sales managers mentioned it on my last visit.

I did a bike tour around town to all the local breweries and naturally none of the tap rooms were open but they all have, at least locally, product in the coolers. They also ALL had signs posted with phone numbers and curbside pickup for orders. I certainly could see this to be true however due to overall economic downturn. People are worried about roofs & food. I had heard that liquor sales had been unaffected and that early there was "panic" buying a lot like TP. Good question.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Note: there have been no confirmed cases of Coronavirus at any KBT distilleries and this has not impacted production. Currently, all production facilities are operating as usual with appropriate health and safety protocols.

KENTUCKY BOURBON TRAIL

Angel’s Envy – Louisville

Bardstown Bourbon Company – Bardstown

Bulleit Distilling Co. – Shelbyville

Evan Williams Bourbon Experience – Louisville

Four Roses Distillery – Lawrenceburg

Four Roses Warehouse & Bottling Facility– Cox’s Creek

Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center – Bardstown

Jim Beam American Stillhouse – Clermont

Jim Beam Urban Stillhouse – Louisville

Lux Row Distillers – Bardstown

Maker’s Mark Distillery – Loretto

Michter’s Distillery – Louisville

Old Forester Distilling Co. – Louisville

O.Z. Tyler Distillery – Owensboro

Rabbit Hole Distillery – Louisville

Stitzel-Weller Distillery – Louisville

Town Branch Distillery – Lexington

Town Branch Dueling Barrels Distillery – Pikeville

Wilderness Trail Distillery – Danville

Wild Turkey Distillery – Lawrenceburg

Woodford Reserve Distillery – Versailles

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
Craft distillery, in my mind, equates to small business and there are innumerable small businesses tanking right now. I guess I don't see why that demographic would be immune to the current situation. Most of the distilleries on the Kentucky bourbon trail would appear to be unaffected to a lesser degree.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wow Duane, how I would love to do the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. You're so lucky living where you do.

I was also reading about the huge distillery in Illinois (Seagrams?) that produces many bourbons for some of the better known brands but also many lesser known brands. This I found odd but I suppose if a bottle is labelled 'produced by...' as opposed to 'distilled by...' one can assume it came from the huge plant in Illinois and not a small distiller's plant.

Regards,

Jay.?

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Wow Duane, how I would love to do the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. You're so lucky living where you do.

I was also reading about the huge distillery in Illinois (Seagrams?) that produces many bourbons for some of the better known brands but also many lesser known brands. This I found odd but I suppose if a bottle is labelled 'produced by...' as opposed to 'distilled by...' one can assume it came from the huge plant in Illinois and not a small distiller's plant.

Regards,

Jay.?

Regards,

Jay.?
MGP (Midwest Grain Products) is in Indiana and makes distillate for quite a few people.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"MGP (Midwest Grain Products) is in Indiana and makes distillate for quite a few people."

That's who I had in mind chum, just couldn't recall the name. Just poured me a Bulleit Rye that I believe came from there.....cheers ?

Regards,

Jay.?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the small distilleries in North Carolina was said to be making hand sanitizer instead of whisky. Apparently the distillery sanitizer does not have the fragrance additives of the standard commercial stuff. In fact it smells pretty funky, I've heard, but it has the disinfectant properties.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
One of the small distilleries in North Carolina was said to be making hand sanitizer instead of whisky. Apparently the distillery sanitizer does not have the fragrance additives of the standard commercial stuff. In fact it smells pretty funky, I've heard, but it has the disinfectant properties.
Several local distilleries and breweries around here made a few batches of hand sanitizer. They had warnings on the news after beer can and vodka bottle packaged hand sanitizer caused predictable accidents for a few inebriated drinkers.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Status
Not open for further replies.