PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
As a strictly outdoor pipe smoker living in the California mountains, once October rolls around, the battle to find (and take advantage of) acceptable conditions begins. Growing up in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles, you'd think I'd be reaching for the long underwear once the thermometer dropped below 70F. However, this would be an erroneous assumption; I've found myself fairly comfortable outside as low as the upper 40s. Below that? It'd have to be a quarter bowl, and even then, I'd be sitting inside my warm living room, eyeing my jar of Balkan Sasieni or the like, and probably give up before I even got my coat out. So for me, once it gets below about 45ish, my desire is on the wane, and nonexistent below 40. Yes, I can hear you guys in Alaska or upstate NY cackling inside about what a wuss you think I am. You're correct, of course, but that's a discussion unto itself. Maybe it's just me, but I find it difficult to enjoy the nuances of any blend when my testicles are up in my neck. If that makes me peculiar, so be it.

So what's your limit? What's comfortable, what's iffy, and what's 100% a no-go for you?

(I know there are folks here from all over the world, but please...Farenheit only. Centigrade just makes my brain melt into a frothy goo. Sorry!)

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm a cold weather guy, so if I can dress for it and still be comfortable I can be outside for hours on end. Point is what does cold do with your smoking experience in a whole? It's never colder than about 25 degrees (-5 celcius for the people who know true metrics ?) outside during the day, a jumper and my skiing jacket with a scarf, fingerless gloves and a beanie is enough for me.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I absolutely despise being cold & cold weather. And the older I get, the less tolerant I am becoming of it. The perfect conditions for me are 90°+, sunny, and humid. Not even joking. I love summer and outdoor heat. In the summers, unless we’re having that grotesque amusement called company, I keep the AC on 78. My wife complains, but it’s offset by her wearing less around the house. ?

Once the weather starts heating up, I smoke outdoors about 90% of the time. Once it drops below 65 or 60, I pack it inside & stink up the house. Good thing about pipe tobacco smoke is, it doesn’t “stick” to everything the way cigarette smoke does.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I was just out exercising the dawg, it's two below. I've smoked outside at -20 on the slope but, usually sat in the truck when smoking and warming.

it doesn’t “stick” to everything the way cigarette smoke does.
That has not been my experience. Blends reek, same as cigars and cigarettes. Ask any landlord who allows smokers. The gotta change out carpets, drapes, and paint. I sure as hell won't rent to a smoker.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I was just out exercising the dawg, it's two below. I've smoked outside at -20 on the slope but, usually sat in the truck when smoking and warming.

That has not been my experience. Blends reek, same as cigars and cigarettes. Ask any landlord who allows smokers. The gotta change out carpets, drapes, and paint. I sure as hell won't rent to a smoker.
There’s a solid chance everybody thinks I smell bad, but I’m just too lovable so they don’t want to tell me

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can walk in the cold and smoke a pipe, although it isn't my favorite way to enjoy a blend, but standing still in the cold is somewhat miserable. I grew up in the Chicago area when the climate was colder than it is now, and I wintered over in Milwaukee which was incremental colder. I remember asking a policeman what the temperature was, and he said forty below. I said, you mean that's the wind-chill? And he said, no, that's the temperature. If I kept moving, I was good; if I stopped, like waiting for a bus, it got uncomfortable. Once I walked from the train station in Chicago to the then university campus on Navy Pier at night at nine below. None of this was Alaska in February, but it was cold.

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I'm a Canadian so a large portion of my year is spent in the cold and I'll enjoy a nice smoke as long as there isn't a lot of wind. I find that strong winds or persistent gusts totally blow the wind out of my sails and the tobacco from my bowl! With that being said I think around -4.0 Fahrenheit is where I call it quits for an outdoor smoke. Unless I'm in an especially calm and windless hollow with the sun beaming down on me.