How Can You Tell a Real IMCO Lighter from a Fake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm looking at some different IMCO lighters, and while they are all stamped 'Austria', clearly some aren't. I'd like to get a vintage real one, or perhaps a NOS one. The question is, how do you discern a real one from a fake? Any clues?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Real should say all the text off the first link on the bottom. And should be marked on the spring retainer inside.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
BROBS has the details. I'm mostly a match lighting guy because I love the soft flame and apparently don't mind the bother. But with any product, the best way to authenticate is to spend some time with the real item, if possible. Notice detail and try to pick out some "tells" that might help. Changes can be made in design and detail, but usually if you can find a few characteristics that are unique, you'll find them in the line ongoing. Along the same lines, it's advised to look at the highest end suit available before buying a medium priced suit, so you'll see what a good one looks like.

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@mikethompson

Are you looking for the trench lighter?

s-l300.jpg

If so, the Bowers lighter's slide operates more smoothly.

20200209_155152.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If they are on aliexpress they are most likely fakes.

aliexpress I'm sure has 100% fakes!

BROBS, thanks for doing all my homework for me! I'm in the mind now to replace my Zippo with something that doesn't evaporate fuel so quickly. I'm partial to all things Austrian, so the IMCO appeals to me.

Do you know what fuel they take? Just the regular Zippo stuff?

@mikethompson

Are you looking for the trench lighter?

s-l300.jpg

If so, the Bowers lighter's slide operates more smoothly.

View attachment 18770

I've always liked the looks of the trench lighter, but wonder about its functionality when it comes to pipes.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes regular zippo fuel and flints.

for pipes they are kind of cool because once lit you can pull out the body and use it like a “candle” to light your pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.